views vs replies dilemma!!

There is something to be said for "understanding the shot" replies. It is just a guess, but I would think the number of board members who truly understand the nature of retro is very limited. Some things are universal some aren't. Somethings everyone is qualified to comment on, some not. I am NOT qualified to comment on shutter lag ect. I have no idea what it is. I hope that I am qualified to comment on composition and possibly on composition and the limitations of the situation. Limititation composition is a different thing entirely by the way.

Let me tell you a quick story.. true by the way. My son in law took over my operation. He went full digital almost immediately and I approved completely, but with reservations. He emersed himself in it. And as young photographers do, believed that the what he was doing things was the only right way to do it. now to the story.

He had a nikon d100 first it was the best one he could afford but somewhere around 6 mgapx. He refused to shoot an off camera strobe so his strobe is always set horizontal. Therefore his shots were all shot horizontal with strobe. You all know if you turn it sideways your light goes all to hell. Now if you want to make a 16 x 20 or more you dont have any spare pix, so he printed a lot of verticle shot horizontally, simply because he had to save the pixels. Then he argued with me that it was the right way to do it.

Now he has the d200 more megapix.. He crops the shots verticle now, and says criticizes others for poor composition. LOL.... the point is somewhere in there but damned if i see it.

Most reactions

Back