ernie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cyberliquid.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey,

I'm planning a 3-month trip to the US next year, and altough it'll probably be busy enough already with all the stuff I want to go see, I'm still open to suggestions.
So, what cities do I absolutely have to see, what parks and monuments are worth while?

It's a big place, what areas do you plan to travel to?

north south east or west

Wow, that could be a long list. First we have a very poor train system in the US. But it is said to better in the northeast between Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington DC those cities are good for cityscapes, street and museum photos. Add New Orleans, Chicago, LA, and San Francisco to list for good city type photos.

For landscape and nature I would start with Nation Parks system. http://www.nps.gov/

It's a big place, what areas do you plan to travel to?
Both coasts.
West starting from Miami to New York. Didn't find anything between West Palm Beach and Washington, no big known cities or parks. Any suggestions there?
East from San Fransisco over some national parks (Yosemite, Death Valley, still choosing), Vegas to LA.

I like the west coast, from Seatle to Norther California. Check out Redwood national park, and that area.

First we have a very poor train system in the US.
Yeah read about that too. But as long as there are connections between major cities I don't mind. Can do the smaller distances with Greyhound. Everything will have to go by public transportation though, as I can't drive yet.

If there is any way to swing it, head to the US West! I would recommend southern Utah to anyone on the planet. Zion National Park is a must-see, and once you are in the area, pick a second place - the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon - it's an amazing part of the country! Jeff's link below can get you started.

Have fun, regardless of where you end up. 3 months is a long time to have - enjoy! :)

Here are my choices:

Canyon De Chelly in Arizona, Yellowstone and the Grand Teton National Parks in Wyoming, Red Woods in California. Just a few... ;)

Both coasts.
Didn't find anything between West Palm Beach and Washington, no big known cities or parks. Any suggestions there?

I live in the Charlotte, NC area.

If you get a chance, Charleston is a great historic town to photograph. I can spend hours there walking the historic district.

Also the Blue Ridge Mountains are a great place to find good mountain photography. Especially if you go through during the fall (but not this fall since it has been so dry) and you can see mile after mile of brilliant fall colors.

Fly to New York. Buy bus tickets on a city-by-city, day-by-day basis, with a general notion of seeing the entire country in a clockwise fashion, from the northeast to the southeast to the southwest to the northwest to back again. If you like a place (say, Kansas), then stay for a whole (say, a month). If you don't (say, anywhere else), then just zip on through :).

Ernie, you are going to travel THE STATES? For THREE WHOLE MONTHS?
How about your coming to the Germany meet-up then? I counted on you to hop over from Belgium! :)wink: )

there's a germany meet-up?

edit: just saw your sig, don't think i'll be back by then, planning on leaving 1st of march and coming back by the end of may. cool idea though :)

Most reactions

Back