Vivitar 3500 flash with DM/N2 module on Pentax K1000

TarterTurtle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All, I found a Vivitar Zoom Thyristor 3500 in our attic a while back, and I haven’t gotten around to using. The flash has a DM/N2 module which I know is for Nikon, but my dad thought that it might work on my K1000 cause it’s a fully manual camera. And doesn’t have any smarts. So I put the flash on without any film in the camera and it fires but I don’t want to use the flash with film just to find out that it won’t work. So I guess my main question is, is there any way to make this flash work with my camera?
Thanks for any help
-Nathan

The K1000 has no provisions for communications with a speedlight. You can probably use it, but you'll have to do so manually.

The K1000 has no provisions for communications with a speedlight. You can probably use it, but you'll have to do so manually.
That’s what I thought. But this flash doesn’t have a manual setting. Does that mean it would fire at full power? If it did that wouldn’t I be able to figure out what the light was and set my f stop?

There's probably info on it on the web that will tell you the Guide Number. Using that, your film ASA/ISO and the distance to your subject you should be able to calculate the aperture.

I would guess that there is a switch on the back that is labeled M and probably some coloured circles.
M would fire the flash at full power ... you would use formula Guide Number / distance = aperture
The colour circles would let the thyrister control output at a specific aperture.

I would guess that there is a switch on the back that is labeled M and probably some coloured circles.
M would fire the flash at full power ... you would use formula Guide Number / distance = aperture
The colour circles would let the thyrister control output at a specific aperture.
That is correct. So I guess I need to just use m and figure out the guide number as sparky said. I’ll check for that now.

I saw your link and I think I got it. Thanks a lot! I’ll try testing a couple shots with film now. When I get around to developing it (probably in a month or so) I’ll show the results.

... and do not set your shutter speed higher than 60x ... that is the max flash sync speed of the K1000.

... and do not set your shutter speed higher than 60x ... that is the max flash sync speed of the K1000.
Yeah I know. But now that I’m thinking about it would the exposure differ between say 60 and 30

Ohh I see. One more question, could I use this flash with my newer Nikon d60? Or would it fry the camera.

Ohh I see. One more question, could I use this flash with my newer Nikon d60? Or would it fry the camera.

To be sure you'd have to measure the flash's trigger voltage. If you have a multimeter (a cheapo one will do), measure between the terminal on the side of the shoe and the center pin on the bottom. Set meter to DC volts, high range. If it reads below about 20 volts you should be OK to use it on a digital camera. Lots of old film-era flashes read at 150-300 volts and should not be used on those delicate genius digital cameras.

I did some research and i found that the flash that I have puts out about 6-9. i also tested it with my multimeter and it seemed to agree with what i saw online. So I put it on and it works.. sort of. It fires in the manual modes no matter what, the only way to turn it off is to turn off the flash. Will it work in auto? I've tried it and the camera doesnt seem to realize that its there. It pops up the built in flash.

Most reactions

Back