Vivitar 70-210 f/2.8-4.0 Macro?? Nikon AI mount

greybeard

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Guy at a local camera shop wants to make me a heck of a deal on a this NOS lens. This thing is new in the box and he wants like $100 for it. What can I do with it on my D7000?

I wouldn't call that "a heck of a deal"; a reasonable price is more like it. This lens will mount and work on your camera with the following caveats: Manual mode only, no scene modes, no AF (which I'm sure you already knew), and aperture must be adjusted via the aperture ring on the lens, NOT through the camera body. The so-called "macro" aspect is only 2:1 or 2.5:1, so it's not actually a true macro lens (which would be 1:1), but rather a closer-than-normal-focusing zoom. The Vivitar Series 1 lenses were decent, but probably no better (especially in terms of flare and CA) than a kit lens with the exception of build-quality. This thing is built like a tank, and would make a great weapon if you were mugged.

In short, if you already have the 55-200, this probably isn't much of an improvement except for the extra stop you gain, but for $100, it's not a bad deal.

Guy at a local camera shop wants to make me a heck of a deal on a this NOS lens. This thing is new in the box and he wants like $100 for it. What can I do with it on my D7000?

It is a decent lens as far as sharpness goes... Appears to be a rebranded Cosina lens. The Vivitar Series 1 70-210 mm f/ 2.8-4 VMC (Cosina) Lens. Specs. MTF Charts. User Reviews.

Some chatter about this lens.... Vivitar Series 1 70-210 2.8-4 AF - Photo.net photo.net Forum Assuming it is this lens... ;)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Anyway, I know it won't autofocus, metering will be limited to what?

Picked it up today just for something to play around with. Amazing how well the D7000 will adapt to this antique lens. Focus with the range finder assist, sb910 flash work just fine with it, Aperture priority automation and manual metering, built like a tank, IQ is descent.

Yeah, tele-zooms like that one are still relatively decent lenses, even by today's standards. Vivitar never actually "made" lenses; they subcontracted all their manufacturing to a whole host of different (mostly) Japanese companies. There is a web site that details the serial number codes for which Vivitar lenses were made by which company. There are probably several sites. Here's the link to the page at Cameraquest.com.

A few of the companies that made lenses for the Vivitar marketing company include, but are not limited to: Cosina, Asanuma, Tokina, Chinon, Hoya Optical, Kino Precision, Komine, Schneider Optik, and even Olympus.

This one seems to be made by cosima which isn't the most desirable one but it is still pretty nice.

Not sure why Cosina would not be good; Cosina is the company that manufactures the Voigtlander brand of cameras and lenses; Cosina is the company that actually manufactures the Zeiss brand of lenses...yeah...you read that right--COSINA makes the Zeiss ZE and ZF lenses...you know, the $1899 primes for Nikon and Canon d-slrs...like Vivitar, Zeiss is today nothing more than a "brand". A name.

Not sure why Cosina would not be good; Cosina is the company that manufactures the Voigtlander brand of cameras and lenses; Cosina is the company that actually manufactures the Zeiss brand of lenses...yeah...you read that right--COSINA makes the Zeiss ZE and ZF lenses...you know, the $1899 primes for Nikon and Canon d-slrs...like Vivitar, Zeiss is today nothing more than a "brand". A name.

No idea how collectors arrived at this but the 2.8-4.0 made by Komine is the one everybody seems to want, go figure.

Most reactions

Back