Vrooooommm...any c & c greatly appreciated

linpelk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been itching to take pictures, but our weather has been so crummy. I took this one of my daughter near a window and I liked the way it turned out. What do you think? overexposed?

IMG_12201.jpg

Cute kid, but for some reason the cropping gets to me. I know it was most likely impromptu shooting and children move a great deal, but i feel as if maybe it was shot a little wider and then crop in photoshop to leave more space on the right side and the top it could be more appealing to my eye...that's just me though, good job on the lighting.

Cute kid, but for some reason the cropping gets to me. I know it was most likely impromptu shooting and children move a great deal, but i feel as if maybe it was shot a little wider and then crop in photoshop to leave more space on the right side and the top it could be more appealing to my eye...that's just me though, good job on the lighting.

Definitely impromptu, but no cropping on this one. I was actually trying to get as far away as possible with my 50mm and was crammed in the corner of my TV room to try to frame her with her airplane and still have her facing the window. I do wish I could have at least got her little pony-hawk on top of her head in the frame. Thanks for your input.

And thanks Craig for your comment. It means a lot coming from someone who doesn't usually like these kinds of pictures. Thanks for taking the time to write. :wink:

I like the framing, and the exposure is good. But it is really soft. Stopping down to say 2.8 would help immensely.

Ok, so I'm trying to understand this..."stopping down" means my aperture is closing, right (bigger f/number)?

If I shoot at 1.8 I will have the maximum amount of light (for my lens) so it is "wide open" (yes?), but a smaller point of focus (this is how we get bokeh..right??) but since it has a smaller focal point, it will make the rest of the picture "soft"?? I just want to know if I understand this or if I'm out in left field. Thanks so much.

If this just sounds like rambling, forgive me. I'm still trying to figure it all out. If no one responds, I will just figure I need to buy a book and stop bothering you all with my newbie questions.

Your daughter is very cute. I don't think it is overexposed. DOF selection is great, I liked it very much.

I really like the DOF. Puts my eyes at the correct focus point (your daughter) yet still shows the action of what she is doing.

Normally I would say that it's a tad over exposed by 1 stop, but the extra exposure adds to the feeling of the shot.

Kids are fun to shoot when they don't know they are being shot. (I guess that would sound wrong if this wans't a photography site :lol:)

Nice work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back