What's new

Waiting for her Marine...

Sarah23

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 3, 2008
Messages
716
Reaction score
0
Location
Oklahoma
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is my best friend I was telling you guys about. Her husband is a Marine and has been in Iraq/North Carolina for the past 10months.

I was just messing around and taking some pictures of her to test out my lens, and this one came out pretty cute. :)

23b50da4.jpg
 
Love it Sarah! Can't wait to see the homecoming photos. Please be sure to thank him for his service for me!
 
nice pose and composition but the left side of the woman and the baby's face is blown out.

The picture also looks very soft in places. I have no problem with soft-focus images and this one might look nice this way, but the sharpness changes across the center of interest (the faces). My guess is that the light was low, you had to use a large F stop and a consequential shallow DOF.

Second, using a title to give a picture emotional impact means that somehow the picture is lacking.
The title could be - 'finally the baby is asleep' and the picture would be the same but the emotional impact would be less.
Don't lead the audience.

Lew


blowoutbc8.jpg
 
nice pose and composition but the left side of the woman and the baby's face is blown out.

The picture also looks very soft in places. I have no problem with soft-focus images and this one might look nice this way, but the sharpness changes across the center of interest (the faces). My guess is that the light was low, you had to use a large F stop and a consequential shallow DOF.

Second, using a title to give a picture emotional impact means that somehow the picture is lacking.
The title could be - 'finally the baby is asleep' and the picture would be the same but the emotional impact would be less.
Don't lead the audience.

Lew


blowoutbc8.jpg

the blown out areas are probably partially my fault in pp.

yes, I did have to use a larger aperture because my house just isnt that bright. :)

but for the title....i wasnt trying to 'lead' anyone into thinking more of this image then they would have otherwise. I just called it what SHE called it after she saw it. We had been talking about her husband during this particular picture, and she said it showed kinda how she felt. Like she is just waiting. The baby sleeping was just a bonus. :) So while I do understand what you are saying, I am just calling it what it is. Her waiting for her soldier.

Thanks for the comments tho!!! :hug::
 
but for the title....i wasnt trying to 'lead' anyone into thinking more of this image then they would have otherwise. I just called it what SHE called it after she saw it. We had been talking about her husband during this particular picture, and she said it showed kinda how she felt. Like she is just waiting. The baby sleeping was just a bonus. :) So while I do understand what you are saying, I am just calling it what it is. Her waiting for her soldier.

thats cool hahah
really tells a story...

Love it Sarah! Can't wait to see the homecoming photos. Please be sure to thank him for his service for me!

My point being is that you did write something that told people how to think. You can see by the comments that the viewers got the message that certainly wasn't implicit in the picture. If you have to explain the picture, then the picture isn't doing its job.
 
I agree on the blown out areas. As for the title: you're free to name it whatever you want it. It's your pic, your words. You're free to lead us where ever you want.



pascal
 
Second, using a title to give a picture emotional impact means that somehow the picture is lacking.
The title could be - 'finally the baby is asleep' and the picture would be the same but the emotional impact would be less.
Don't lead the audience.

That's a very valid opinion, one which I don't agree with. For some photographers the title is an important part of the photo itself. It can tell us what the photographer was thinking or feeling when shooting, for example. Is that "leading the audience"? Pictures are worth a thousand words, but some things need more than a thousand words to be conveyed.

Were you not leading the audience in this thread? The first pic could have been called "Crazy-Coloured Hat" and the second one "Wooden Pen" or "Red Napkin".
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom