Walk around town

errant_star

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jenkanderson.com
Went for a walk today since it was just soooo nice out and took my camera out for shots of some of the buildings around town ... been on an architectural photo trip lately (thanks in part to some of the photogs on this board) and it's all pretty new to me so these are to constructive criticism :D

Old town hall - now a resource centre
old_town_hall.jpg

Old town hall - bars on the windows
window_bars.sized.jpg

Firehall door
firehall_door.sized.jpg

Firehall bell
fire_bell.sized.jpg

The Chameleon - little antique/hair shop downtown
chameleon_door.sized.jpg

These are great. :thumbsup:

I love "The Chameleon".

Is the Bell ever hit by early or late sun? I think its a great shot but I just see an obsolute killer shot waiting to be taken. (I think that came out right).

You've got a thing for doors then? :mrgreen:
All good, Jen, but I prefer the first. I like the rustic feel.

With every post of yours I can see an improvement. :thumbsup:

nice shots, good detail, particularly like first and last, those buildings look pretty old, especially the last shot with the brickwork.

Very nice captures. Love the first and last. On the Fire hall door shot there is something bugging me, I like the idea of getting the windows on each site as it shows the pattern of brick work but to me it looks like it needs the bottom of the door in the pic or an even tighter crop, don't know.

Eric

ferny said:
You've got a thing for doors then? :mrgreen:

Apparently so ... I suppose you're right ... all right then so I'm on a bit of a kick photographing doors then (and the occasional window) and not so much architecture per se :D

Thanks all for your constructive feedback ... it is much appreciated.

Xmetal/Airic - I may actually post the original of the firehall door in the photoshop challenge as I'm not happy with what I got out of it :confused: I too like the pattern of the brickwork surrounding the windows and doors but there is a low hanging balcony above which is cutting into the brickwork on top and it just seemed out of balance to me to include the space underneath but I suppose it's worth a shot to see what someone else can do with it :mrgreen:

Picksure - I'm planning on doing a reshoot at the firehall as I was there at a crappy time of day and I didn't get the shots I went there for (there is a really interesting tower on the building) so maybe I'll try the bell again with a glint of light hitting it.

Thanks again

Jen

ok...here's my 'fiddle'...

firehall_door_chop.jpg

I traced around the doors, desaturated the surrounds and bumped the saturation up a few notches to 'draw out' the main subject. :)

They are all great. My favorite is number two, but it wouldn't hurt to straighten the window just a nudge. Nice work!

all are very good but the last is awesome! great work Jen!

Apparently so ... I suppose you're right ... all right then so I'm on a bit of a kick photographing doors then (and the occasional window) and not so much architecture per se
There are a surprising amount of people who just take pictures of doors. You're not alone!

Google is your friend. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back