Wallaby in the mist

danielklaer

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.thewittyparrot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Stayed at Queen Mary Falls in Queensland recently and liked this shot. Not perfect but slowly getting better :) Taken with a 300mmf4 prime on a D700 at f4. Cropped for aspect ratio. CC always welcome :)

8851347810_a76b7e5bcd_b.jpg

8877981910_931a52f7fd_o.jpg

8876115120_74e39eb775_o.jpg

Last edited:
Nice,

I have always wondered this and I guess too lazy to look it up but what is the difference between a Wallaby and a Kangaroo?

Good question, hopefully I can give you a good answer! (background in zoology so I'll give it a red hot shot)

The terms wallaby and kangaroo don't really mean anything genetically speaking. They are both common names for species of macropods (family Macropodidae). We have a third common name here too, wallaroos. Basically if it is big, it's a kangaroo. If it is small, its a wallaby. If it is in the middle then you guessed it, wallaroo. But again, the terms are just common names and don't mean anything. Within the one Macropus genus (they cover a few but as an example) you will find different species referred to under all three common names.

To confuse things further there are also tree kangaroos (as their name suggests) and pademelons (think small cute rainforest wallaby) within the same family. Thank goodness for scientific names!

Hope that clears it up :)

Dan

Kangaroos, wallaroos, wallaby, ... now you just mentioned a JOEY! That is super tiny one in the pouch? So confusing! :).

Haha sorry Robin! :p Yeah joey is the name given to a juvenile marsupial. Like foal for a horse or puppy for a dog. During this photo it was hiding in the pouch.

Well, I was doing really good until you mentioned tree Kangaroos lol So if it's small and on the ground, it's a Wallaby, if it's small and in a tree, it's a Kangaroo?

Items for any future trips to Australia, a messuring tape so I know what I'm looking at :D

Well, I was doing really good until you mentioned tree Kangaroos lol So if it's small and on the ground, it's a Wallaby, if it's small and in a tree, it's a Kangaroo?

Items for any future trips to Australia, a messuring tape so I know what I'm looking at :D

haha doesn't make a lot of sense does it :p But yes.

That is why common names are never used in animal sciences :)

haha doesn't make a lot of sense does it :p But yes.

That is why common names are never used in animal sciences :)

Yup, the problem with Sceientific names is I don't speak Latin lol

Anyhow, I know more now than I did, Thanks :cheers:

Might benefit from a bit of sharpening and, imo, cropping.
That extension to the left doesn't add much; imo, cropping it like this below emphasizes the length of the tail.

$8851347810_a76b7e5bcd_bll.jpg

Might benefit from a bit of sharpening and, imo, cropping.
That extension to the left doesn't add much; imo, cropping it like this below emphasizes the length of the tail.

View attachment 46284

Thanks Lew!

I like your crop. I originally left the space to the left as I imagine her just about to jump forward into that space but guess that's just me. I do need to sharpen it but I am only just learning how to use light room and haven't started playing with that yet.

Thanks for the advice and the edit :) I will come back to this raw file after I have learnt a bit of sharpening.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back