Walmart won't release photos !!??

You know, you could solve this problem by going up to the photo counter, pulling down your pants, and taking a dump right on the counter.

Actually, that might not help.

You are a businessman - you have clients .............. I have a family and a camera. Do families now need "Forms" to get their photos printed? - My point is that they're holding prints hostage based on someones assumption that they're professionally done... a totally subjective act. If they were blurry, and underexposed, would they even been questioned? -

If I could impose ... can you give me a short sentence or example of what I should write? - (Kind of "Dumb it up" a little - God forbid that I'd sound professional)..

thanks,

r

I understand your position sir, but instead of being mad, perhaps you should take it as a compliment. You may not be a professional with clients, but your photos are the creation of your own mind, and you should take pride in the fact that someone somewhere thought your work deserved to be protected. Your families poses, the location, the lighting, the settings, the composition all have your personal signature on it.

And below is my exact release:

"To Whom It May Concern:

The bearer of this notice (“Bearer”) has purchased high-resolution digital files from his/her photography session with The Modern Mutt (“TMM”). Bearer is hereby granted permission by TMM to reproduce the images and make an unlimited number of prints, for personal use only. This permission applies worldwide. Bearer agrees that he/she may not use any TMM images for commercial or editorial purposes, or enter any TMM images into competition without the express written permission of TMM. TMM retains the copyright to all images, per USC Title 17 (US Copyright Law).

Walmart is just protecting it's ass. It really does not care who took the pictures, it only wants a form that they can say they checked to keep their lawyers happy and stay out of court.

Walmart is pretty up front and clear about their policy, they even provide a form for you to use on their website.
http://photos.walmart.com/walmart/copyrightpolicy

This is typical policy for many places. Don't blame the shops... they are just trying to comply with copyright laws.

Bring the whole set of photos AND the camera itself; EXIF data and all.

i'd take it as a compliment... go up there myself (not sure how i would prove i took the pics? maybe show them the pics while they are on my camera) and be on my way.

So how would they know who the photographer is. Cant anyone just say they took the shot

Walmart is just protecting it's ass. It really does not care who took the pictures, it only wants a form that they can say they checked to keep their lawyers happy and stay out of court.

Walmart is pretty up front and clear about their policy, they even provide a form for you to use on their website.
http://photos.walmart.com/walmart/copyrightpolicy

So, it appears I'm getting an education out of this ...

I use Costco all the time for "Test" prints before I send them to the lab I normally use (Bay Photo) for quality prints, and I've never been asked for anything having to do with copyright - I have apparently asked a question that transends two complete different points of view - one is that of a professional or semi-professional photographer who has to deal with copyrights on an ongoing basis, and the other is that of a hobbyist who probably should be just as concerned, but is seldom exposed to the issue of copyrights... (Hobbyists normally don't sell or give away hi resolution files to anyone..) I went to the Walmart link and printed out their release to give to my D-in-law.. I've never used Walmart, so I've never had an occasion to see this form.. My D-in-law may or may not have seen it, but I'd bet she wouldn't know what they're talking about even if she did.

Next time my family wants pictures, I'll use my normal lab and have them printed out for them - (I've seen some of Walmarts photos, and they sure make me look bad!).. It's worth the extra couple of pennies to get photos that are of some quality, and they're just as fast in processing and shipping.

Appreciate the information, ribbing, and chiding - I've learned something here...

Oh, and Bitter - next time I see Sara ........ I'll slap her forhead.. ;-)

r

So how would they know who the photographer is. Cant anyone just say they took the shot

Sure, but then the people who claimed to take the photo would be committing fraud, and it won't be on walmart.
See how that works?

That's the problem...

They are a business that needs to protect itself from lawsuits but they can't possibly know 100% whether it is copyrighted material or not. Its stupid that the liability doesn't completely reside with the original person who requested the prints.

Anyways... the form pretty much passes the liability to those signing or forging.

Just be flattered that your work is considered professional and be thankful that they are looking out for your rights. I have to say suck it up. Every time my kids go to have family pics printed they have to have a release. Am I bitching about it? HELL NO! I'd like to walk in and kiss that overprotective clerk at WalMart. he's just covering his own ass. If your images had belonged to a professional photographer he'd have been out a job and Wally World is then in the position of being open to a copyright lawsuit.

In fact, it doesn't matter if the images even LOOK professional or not. Copyright is owned by the photographer and even if the photographer isn't all that great, you have to have their permission to print them.

I'd give a high five to the clerk for "holding your images hostage."

It's like verification of your physician's prescription. I can create a prescription pad right here on my computer and scrawl a signature on the bottom of it. The pharmacy would still hold my amphetamines hostage until they could verify my credentials.

Glad to have seen the turn that this thread has exhibited. Again, I agree with Walmart. If there is any doubt as to whether an image they are reproducing is protected by copyright, IMO, they should follow up on it... Even if it is a 'slight' inconvenience to the customer or photographer.

That's the problem...They are a business that needs to protect itself from lawsuits but they can't possibly know 100% whether it is copyrighted material or not. Its stupid that the liability doesn't completely reside with the original person who requested the prints.
I agree. It's the person committing fraud, the company should not be liable.It's like a bartender shouldn't get sued because they served someone and that person choose to drink and drive.

Most reactions

Back