Wandering around Indonesia

Food, glorious food - well, BBQ fish

9343940980_c618a5c09c_z.jpg

9341164733_e511198212_z.jpg

This old dude collects rubbish in an attempt at some way to make money. That drain was full of something smelling suspiciously like poo but he was in there anyway.
I suspect you'll do a lot when the other choice is starvation.

9362805661_dcd6109e47_z.jpg

9365576632_e16d5f21dc_z.jpg

There must be millions of street places selling drinks but I won't use them.
You have no idea where the water for the ice comes from.

9362792349_b96f9f9e8e_z.jpg

This was less then mouthwatering but he was using it to melt down the surface of the ice as he cut it.

9365563764_f479ff92a9_z.jpg

A sugar distribution warehouse.

9362863477_44a7cdac7a_z.jpg

9362869377_28bd3a00ba_z.jpg

9362874137_639f28efe5_z.jpg

With a strong Muslim tradition and a growing population, there's a need for many new mosques.

9362916159_1f18174b91_z.jpg

9365690502_d44b56669f_z.jpg

9362904391_4a82a3a256_z.jpg

Note - the three above were taken from the same place. That big zoom is really handy.

That's my hour of free time done with.
I must get some stuff ready for tomorrow so I will post more when I get a moment.

You have a great opportunity.
Some of these pictures are really interesting but unfinished.
It would be very worthwhile for you to 1) get a better small camera and 2) learn a bit of post processing.

It would be very worthwhile for you to 1) get a better small camera and 2) learn a bit of post processing.

Camera first. I've just changed to the Fujifilm HS50.
I went that way because I needed a camera that:

I could get out of it's case and shoot in the shortest possible time (1 second is nice). No time to set up on most shots as it'd be long gone before I messed about changing lenses or whatever.

has a high frame rate on continuous shot and that had continuous focus. Many targets are moving at speed so I must be fast. That in mind, those setting are the default.

has a long zoom without changing lenses. The Fuji has 42X optical.

Processing

2 reasons why not:

I have thousands of snaps and no time to edit them
I don't want to.

The latter is because they're real life, not pro studio shots, so I want them to remain exactly as I saw.
I'm trying to show what life in Indonesia is really like.

War is short for, Warung (a shop)
Tel is short for, Telepon (Telephone)
Wartel is short for a shop that's pretty much like a big telephone box.
These used to be very popular but mobile phones have killed most.

9377972471_c382e11132_z.jpg

Smoking is a bad habit and a common hobby in Indonesia. Many western restaurants have smoking and non smoking areas but there are very few smoke free zones except kids' play areas.

9380774714_54441e64a4_z.jpg

A common habit with rubbish is, toss it in the river and it'll go away.
Of course, it doesn't go away, just moves.

9380791526_e231db2bd6_z.jpg

I love my push chair.

Born to a rubbish collecting family, will grow up without education in a rubbish collecting family and probably die after a shorter than average life as the father of a rubbish collecting family.

9378019333_bf9d3dc0d7_z.jpg

I could get out of it's case and shoot in the shortest possible time (1 second is nice). No time to set up on most shots as it'd be long gone before I messed about changing lenses or whatever.

has a high frame rate on continuous shot and that had continuous focus. Many targets are moving at speed so I must be fast. That in mind, those setting are the default.

Processing

2 reasons why not:

I don't want to.

The latter is because they're real life, not pro studio shots, so I want them to remain exactly as I saw.

In real life, Mother Nature doesn't always cooperate by making the important things bright and the unimportant things dark.
In point of fact, the images won't be as you saw them because the camera doesn't see what the human eye does.
But you seem to have all the answers and want to keep snapping the way you want.
IMO, a tremendous lost opportunity that I sincerely hope you will live to regret.

A train

9380897024_220e48170d_z.jpg

the level(ish) crossing.

9380921438_126ceda35a_z.jpg

Street bands usually hang around at traffic lights in the hope of getting paid by motorists waiting for a green light (in the few places anyone bothers what colour the lights are).
They more commonly get paid to bugger off than they get paid because they're good entertainers.

9378119711_465a8f5a85_z.jpg

This one was really tired.

9378127209_d20540e2ef_z.jpg

Processing

2 reasons why not:

I don't want to.

In real life, Mother Nature doesn't always cooperate by making the important things bright and the unimportant things dark.
In point of fact, the images won't be as you saw them because the camera doesn't see what the human eye does.
But you seem to have all the answers and want to keep snapping the way you want.
IMO, a tremendous lost opportunity that I sincerely hope you will live to regret.

Most of the time, I try to keep the sun to my back (if possible), point and pray.
I'm pretty sure many could be improved with editing or colour correction but I just don't have the time (or the inclination) at the moment.
The thread has been running for several years and has a lot of views so I'll just march along in my own merry way and use my usual expletives later if I've mega cocked up.

I don't know if this thread is interesting to users of this forum but, if you guys don't care for it, I'll stop posting. :)

Another rubbish collecting family.
They sort out the plastics and sell it to recycling firms. Hard, dirty work with little pay.
There are thousands of families like this in Jakarta alone. Many are from Java and come to the capitol in the hope of a better life than they can have in the villages.
Without education or skill, they either end up doing this sort of thing or some poorly paid job with no future.

9381009768_fdcbb4f698_z.jpg

9378231043_5b97f4d494_z.jpg

9378238205_2fb2afb881_z.jpg

Almost forgot.
I don't do regret.
I swear sometimes but end up saying, "Oh, bugger it, it'll work out" and move on.

Most reactions

Back