Wanna Place a Bet?

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, so this might get interesting....
We live on a flood plain, yeah yeah I know, guaranteed to flood etc lol I get it, this is inevitable :er: but 99.9% of the time living here is awesome, this is one of those off times and we will see how it pans out lol

Below is a google map shot of our property, what looks like a dry riverbed on the right side of the property is now full of water to the edge of the greenhouse and garden behind the house. The field across the road to the NW is under water and it is about 3 ft away from coming up over our driveway :confused:. The ground is saturated to the point that the drains are running super slow and the sump is running a lot.

Roads are closing up and down river already.

This all from the snowmelt, if it was just that we would be fine...
BUT
It's supposed to rain, a LOT over the next few days, they are already predicting evacuations. We are as prepared as we can be, we have extra pumps at the ready, vehicles moved etc...

Wanna make bets on how close the river and floodplain will get? Will they meet? When? How much water will we end up with in the basement? When my mood will go from anticipation to ah crap? lol

Better get to sandbagging! Good luck, hope everything turns out ok!

What a nice compound!

Yeah you are screwed, build an arc.

Lol thanks guys ;)

Ron, ironically the fellow we bought it from lives up on a hill now too.... Hmmmm lol

I'm on a lake but up the hill looking down on it. The water is already higher than normal for summer and the snow is just starting to melt. Flood warnings out here for the coming rain too. The hill can be a bear as I get older but times like this I am glad I am up on it.

Bad, bad omen on this end...I saw a small, deceased, wild cottontail bunny carcass on Sunnyside Road this AM on the way to the grocery store, laying right on the roadbed, right by a storm drain. NOT kidding...it was a most unusual sight...I'm no tea leaf-reading soothsayer, but I can "read" the really glaring, simple signs...I'm worried for you guys...I saw Mr. Rabbit's picture on his FB page, with the pumps in buckets, awaiting that bad,bad water that might come...hope it recedes and does not come up over the banks...

Here's link to FEMA Flood Insurance maps. You put in your address with zip code is what worked for my address. No requirement for state or town. Didn't the bank check this out before they gave you a mortgage? Usually if you're in a flood plain, they'll require flood insurane when they give you a mortgage. Do you have flood insurance?
https://msc.fema.gov/webapp/wcs/sto...eView?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1

Hopefully it won't rain. Also check FEMA out for future insurance.

Good luck.

Alan - she's in Ontario, so I doubt US FEMA will help much. ;)

Bunny - got a boat?

Morning update, round 1 of rain overnight, river came up about 6 inches, pond/swamp creeped a bit but the basement ....

We have about an inch if water....
I need coffee.

Morning update, round 1 of rain overnight, river came up about 6 inches, pond/swamp creeped a bit but the basement ....

We have about an inch if water....
I need coffee.

My in-laws have two creeks running behind their home, and it has been raining so much that the banks have widen because the land would get so saturated, it falls off.

My in-laws have two creeks running behind their home, and it has been raining so much that the banks have widen because the land would get so saturated, it falls off.

Where about? Probably what is headed for us today, we have seen trees float by, BIG trees so its definitely eroding the banks here (Saugeen river)

We're down in the south eastern US, in a place called Jawja, spelled Georgia. They have a barn, and it's been shin deep in water for days. They just bought this house late last year, and when you buy with cash here, you have no bank to go through and scream that you're living in a flood zone. For some reason, it wasn't declared a flood zone until they moved in, and the creek flooded.

And, of course, the water level can continue to rise well after the rain stops (depending on how far down-stream you are).

Be safe.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back