Wanna Place a Bet?

Two words... house boat.

Floating Homes

Pretty interesting, actually.

Anyway, that aside... I'm watching with interest and hoping for you.

Ha Lew John and Bunny! Both sound like solid plans! It's amazing the extra wildlife that is around with all of the standing water!

Astro, this is only our 3rd year here, we had no clue what would happen on the property when the river crested, we are pleasantly surprised that it appears to go around us, an island in the stream, there are three forks the river splits into here as the floodplain and we are between two, PHEW!

Alan, yeah we have as much insurance coverage as we can have and flood isn't included. We knew what we were getting into, the old owner was very up front and the basement is set up so that we can have about 2 ft down there before we really need to start worrying about anything inside, there has been a house on this spot for about 40 years now so I think we will make it as long as we keep pumping!!

So morning update, it snowed overnight, there is about 2 inches on the ground and I'm kinda thinking that is a good thing, at least it is sitting on top of the ground instead of adding to the saturation right away lol.
The road on the other side of the bridge is closed, the 3rd fork the river takes has taken over the road over there, all towns down river are having issues with closed streets and flooding.
We did some math and we are up to 21,600 gallons (give or take a few) pumped out and no sign of slowing down yet... I was up until 3:30am keeping watch, back up at 6:30 with Mr Rabbit because the cat decided that if Mr Rabbit is up so shall Mrs Rabbit be, this is going to be a long day!

Photos from Rabbit's compound this morning.

BLL-Lake-Okeechobee.JPG

Damn when were you at the end of the driveway? And didn't even come in for a coffee! ;)

Damn when were you at the end of the driveway? And didn't even come in for a coffee! ;)

I would have but I heard your coffee was pretty watery.

I would have but I heard your coffee was pretty watery.

Gasp! Blasphemy! Coffee is a sacred commodity and its strength and integrity are passionately protected!

just keep swimming... just keep swimming...

Egads... Oh the joys.

I know your pain in a different way. Every time the water table gets a bit on the high side, I end up with water in my basement. The last time it happened, the sewer backed up, so I had to unclog it while standing in 8" of water while turds of various sizes floated past. I need a new house... I don't even live NEAR a flood plain. My basement just sucks that much.

Alan - she's in Ontario, so I doubt US FEMA will help much. ;-)

Sorry. I didn't realize that. Doesn't Canada have anything similar? Also, don't their mortgage rules also include insurance requirements for flood areas?

No insurance company in Canada offers flood insurance. Flooding is considered an Act of God.

I wonder which god is responsible.
Probably Neptune, I'd imagine.

Ouch Mini! Luckily our basement worked just like it should have other than having to change out the sump so it wasn't pumping into the septic system, the weeping bed was underwater lol

So as of yesterday afternoon after a whole bunch of pushing water towards the sump hole we no longer are pumping! YAY!!!
The river is receding and is back in it's banks, the pond is getting there.

As a rough estimate we pumped 300gal/min for about 84 hours, that is 25,200 gallons of water... wow... Going to take bets on that number next time around!
I'm a tired bunny, I don't care who you are, seeing water POURING out from under your house and a waterfall in the basement is quite disconcerting!

Most reactions

Back