Wanna Place a Bet?

Well, since this morning the sump hasn't turned off and we are holding at about an inch in the basement, we are also pumping out the outside basement stairwell at a rate of about 8in/hr.

The rain is just starting.

We went for a walk and I took some video, honestly I'm amazed, for now it's going around us.

this thread is nothing with pics

and...

you got a canoe right?

True and no lol
Well, we are just about holding here, keeping just ahead of the water rising in the basement still, more rain today then snow/freezing rain/ice pellets later this afternoon when the temperature plummets from +20 yesterday to -4 this afternoon, argh!

Here are a couple from yesterday and I'm waiting for a video to upload taken from the bridge.

As of this morning only the top wrung of the fence is above water and we are about another foot up the bank from the stick. The field across the river is starting to have standing water in it.
Untitled by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

The stairwell that keeps filling (you can see the high water mark from the first day), This morning we were back up to the bottom of the door, the night shift dropped the ball lol. The hose that is coming out of the door frame is from the sump inside so it isn't pumping into the septic system.

oh my. You need to build one of those dutch houses that floats. Good luck.

Now there's an idea!

I just went for a wander, there are two currents in the pond/floodplain, one down river and... One up river, there are two towns down river that are flooding, Walkerton and paisley.

Videos to come....

$bunny.jpg
I ordered you one of these on eBay. It's coming from Hong Kong and should be there in 4 to 6 weeks

Seriously, I hope the best for you folks.

Lmao!! You guys are awesome :) kinda needed a bunny smile :) thanks!

If you will excuse a quote from an American

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their (country) basement; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman"

Ok videos finally uploaded. The first one is taken standing where it says "concession 4" on the map, at about 25 seconds that treeline is the edge of our property, the water goes into about 20ft from the driveway (narrow cut out of the cedars).

The second is the field across the road with a nice new waterfall into the river! Where you see the water draining in the distant field is where it is overflowing into the pond area on our property. All culverts are at maximum capacity but running well. It seems we are pretty darn safe where we are judging by how it is draining around the house. Other than pumping at a rate of 5gal/minute out of the basement for 48 hours now....that a LOT of groundwater rising from below!!

On the positive side, have you considered how much more convenient it is to go fishing?
(I do admit that fishing isn't as good during flood times but one has to look at the upside.)

On the positive side, have you considered how much more convenient it is to go fishing?
(I do admit that fishing isn't as good during flood times but one has to look at the upside.)
Never mind the fishing, think of all the great areobic exercise one could get rowing around the south 40!

Pixel, I feel your pain.

I don't have the problems you do but my house is at the bottom of a small hill (residential), and next to a school. Unfortunately the school property angles towards my yard. Everything runs downhill through my backyard.
Last year I started my work on lowering my backyard, by hand. Yup, with a shovel and wheelbarrow. I had to lower the ground next to the garage 8 inches to keep the garage from flooding every time it rained - the ground was higher than the garage's concrete slab. Now the back and other side this year gets worked on. Right now with the spring thaw everything is a gooey mess.

Luckily the rains from yesterday were a bit north of us so we didn't get anythnig - the same storm that you got.

I wouldn't mind living UP the road a bit myself.

Alan - she's in Ontario, so I doubt US FEMA will help much. ;-)

Sorry. I didn't realize that. Doesn't Canada have anything similar? Also, don't their mortgage rules also include insurance requirements for flood areas?

Alan - she's in Ontario, so I doubt US FEMA will help much. ;-)

Sorry. I didn't realize that. Doesn't Canada have anything similar? Also, don't their mortgage rules also include insurance requirements for flood areas?

No insurance company in Canada offers flood insurance. Flooding is considered an Act of God.

I wonder which god is responsible.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back