Want Larger Grain (the larger the better)

SamIam.Life

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hello everyone

you know how most people always ask how to lessen the grain in their photos, Well i have the opposite question. I am going for a really grainy look and am wondering how i can get the largest grain possible. Im in an adv Photo class at my school and the Professor said that one way to get large grain is to shoot T-MX 3200 at 1600 iso (not sure of that number, going to ask him tomorrow) and then develop the film in dectol for 4 min. I am going to try this soon, but i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

thanks

=)-SamIam-(=

Generally speaking, in film photography the faster the film speed the larger the basic grain structure. And during processing there is a physical phase where the silver grains are built up, making them larger. This happens more noticeably with over-development when the grains can 'clump'.
It follows then that if you over-rate a fast film (under-expose) and slightly over-develop to compensate using a vigorous physical developer you will get large grain.
Some B&W films are grainier than others. T-max tends to be finer grained than most fast films so Tri-X would probably give larger grain.
The best stuff was Royal-X pan but it's been discontinued. That film had grain like golf balls.

Note: you can often get what looks like incredibly grainy results from even fine grained films. This is commonly due to micro-reticulation and not grain.
When processing, putting the film into a solution that is too cold or too hot compared to the previous solution causes thermal shock in the gelatine and makes it shrink/expand to produce a crackle finish - a bit like the way soil cracks in a drought. If the temperature difference is too great then you get full reticulation and large cracks are formed in the gelatine.
Micro-reticulation happens a lot more often than people realise and is a sign of sloppy processing technique ;)

hey thanks for explaining the micro-reticulation ill have to try that soon.

=)-SamIam-(=

Most reactions

New Topics

Back