Want new zoom lens, torn on choices. Help!

Discussion in 'Canon Lenses' started by Rob_, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Rob_

Rob_ TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm looking to get a new lens for zoom, and I'm currently torn between two choices (listed below):

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-70-200m...UTF8&coliid=I2LKU90XLG469M&colid=OGU9B79UUXR6

and

Amazon.com: Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Now why am I choosing between and L and a non L? Well I did some research and the L lens appears to be a much older lens. Why I'm torn is because I'm not sure if an older model L lens is going to have less quality than newer model lenses. Any suggestions? I'd say my price range is maybe a max of $700. My main reason for a zoom lens is because I often find myself looking to take pictures from a far, (zoo, moon, etc). Thanks!

2. MLeeK

MLeeK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Those are two incredibly different quality lenses. The 70-200 wins hands down if image quality is important to you. The 70-300 is decent, but definitely not the quality of L glass even if it's older L glass.
    What are you using this lens to shoot?

3. KenC

KenC Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 70-200 may be better optically, although I'm not convinced that the difference would be significant beyond the pixel-peeping magnifications, but in a situation where you really need IS or where you really need the 300 mm focal length, the 70-300 will be better.

4. o hey tyler

o hey tyler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Go with the 70-200. It has a constant aperture all the way to 200mm... and it's an L lens.

5. Rob_

Rob_ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks, I was really teetering on the L myself. What would taking a shot of the moon look like on a 200mm? I'm not looking for super close up amazing detail, just good enough to look good should I take a picture of the night sky.

6. MLeeK

MLeeK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    you can get a pretty detailed shot. We're not talking see the flag or anything, but you can definitely see the craters and so forth.

7. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

One thing I'd like to point out. The front element of the EF 70-300mm IS lens rotate when focus. So if you are planning to use a circular polarizer, it will work, but you need to re-adjust it after focus.

Another one you can take a look is the new Tamron 70-300mm VC lens.

As far as sharpest goes, the L lens is better especially for border sharpness.

If I am going to choose

70-200mm f/4L > Tamron 70-300mm VC > EF 70-300mm IS

Of course, cost wise, Tamron is the cheapest.