Want to get second shooter jobs-how do I do that ?

A quote from one of my favourite photographers, " I wish people would get more serious about photography and treat it as a hobby"
I believe its my attitude, the moment I dont see photography as a full time career I am in a position not to stress to much over it and enjoy the process and the shoot.

I second shot a wedding for a company years ago called 360 Photography I think? They were always looking for second shooters and I think paid $250 a wedding. I wasn't a fan of the company and never went back but hey, it was experience. Maybe start searching out Toronto Photographers and approaching them about working with them...even if you want to do it for free. I wouldn't sell yourself short, I would still ask for a few hundred. I have a second and my next wedding is in Mexico which won't help yah :)

I second shot a wedding for a company years ago called 360 Photography I think? They were always looking for second shooters and I think paid $250 a wedding. I wasn't a fan of the company and never went back but hey, it was experience. Maybe start searching out Toronto Photographers and approaching them about working with them...even if you want to do it for free. I wouldn't sell yourself short, I would still ask for a few hundred. I have a second and my next wedding is in Mexico which won't help yah :)
Thank you for the info, I will check 360 photography.
If you know any photographer in the GTA who might be looking for a second shooter I will greatly appreciate if you mention my name.
Also if you are ver in a problem and need help let me know.

Thank you :)

A quote from one of my favourite photographers, " I wish people would get more serious about photography and treat it as a hobby"
I believe its my attitude, the moment I dont see photography as a full time career I am in a position not to stress to much over it and enjoy the process and the shoot.
I would never give up my weekends to make money from photography especially shooting weddings I've done a few for friends and they bored me shitless

I would never give up my weekends to make money from photography especially shooting weddings I've done a few for friends and they bored me shitless
Ah you see I work only 7 days every 2 weeks so I have plenty of time on my hands to spend :)

yes, photography is a hobby like golf, just enjoy it and don't worry about making money

Do you have any idea how much money, blood, tears and sweat an unreliable/flakey/dishonest second shooter could possibly cost a pro photographer? "Free" isn't the coin you need to offer. It's "trust." A "free" photog might just not show up saying to himself "what does he expect for nothing, miracles?"
I'm not suggesting you are any of those bad things but how does a pro know that? I'd suggest you try to find a pro who will let you monitor his shoot -- with you just watching. You could be kinda of a gofer but I wouldn't phrase it that way. But if you are helpful, perhaps you can build some trust.
Also tell me why you think a pro wants to train his competition? The olde film "All AboutEve" comes to mind.

Also tell me why you think a pro wants to train his competition? The olde film "All AboutEve" comes to mind.

Because there are more than enough weddings to go around for everyone. I shoot my own weddings and second for a local pro. We refer clients to each other if they aren't a good price fit. Plus he gets a very competent second shooter than can go off and shoot the groom or bridesmaids while he's off doing something else and doesn't have to worry if I'm capable.

Yes you have to build trust but if you can get into an interview and express a good photography understanding and background along with reliability in jobs outside of photography; then there's no reason for the pro not to trust you enough to at least show up.

Well that's one. Maybe he should move to your town.Where I come from we say "you get what you pay for" and I think his absolute faith that everyone wants someone to work for nothing is misplaced. He should talk up his other qualities and not wait by the phone for someone wanting slave labor.

I shoot weddings for a living. I trained my apprentice for over a year. She's starting her own business soon and I will help her to do so. I always tell her that even though I trained her, we will never shoot the same because we're different people. I also tell her that for every stage in our wedding photography career, there will always be clients. Since I shoot only 25-30 weddings a year, I refer my overflow to her and she helps me with second shooting since she's not booking a lot yet. It's a mutual beneficial relationship. There is a lot in running a photography business. Just because you know how to photograph beautiful photos, it doesn't mean your photography business will automatically be successful.

Last edited:
You could look at http//asmp.org Find a Photographer and see what the expectations are for second shooters. I think a photographer needs someone who can handle specific tasks independently.

It's going to take a photographer's time to work with a completely inexperienced shooter, they probably can't shoot a wedding and train you without hiring an assistant who can handle getting some of the photos. Probably you're looking more at seeing if there's a photographer in your area that would let you shadow or observe them.

Most reactions

Back