Water Drops: A cheap experiment...

Xpirex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have seen some pretty expensive set-ups for this kind of photography involving complex and sophisticated water drop delivery systems and multiple lasers to trigger the camera shutter the cost of which could purchase a medium sized family car. I went for the cheaper option. My only investment was a small plastic bottle of Lucazade ($1) and a quick eye. Here is the set-up followed by the results.

917425629_XxfCM-XL-2.jpg

FULL SET HERE

link: cheap experiment: my expensive water drop studio. Take 1 - Chris Montgomery Photography

I think that this is a neat looking water drop. But I have to wonder how many times did you have to shoot it to get this one image? I am just curious. :D nice job and idea.

I think that this is a neat looking water drop. But I have to wonder how many times did you have to shoot it to get this one image? I am just curious. :D nice job and idea.

Out of the 25 shots you see in that album... they are all single shots. I only took about 29 in total so only 4 were unusable. I did not look through the camera at all when doing them, with camera pre-focussed I kept my eye on
the dripping bottle taped to the ceiling and when a drop descended I just followed it with my eye and hit the remote shutter just as it plopped in the water bowl.

I have an extremely quick eye I think from years of playing table tennis which can be an incredible fast-eye sport since about the sage of about 6.

A great set of photos and I love the Heath Robinson set up! :thumbup:

Why a quick eye, just use flash at 1/10,000th of a s econd with a fast receycle and shoot at 5fps or more keep shooting whilst dropping

Why a quick eye, just use flash at 1/10,000th of a s econd with a fast receycle and shoot at 5fps or more keep shooting whilst dropping
I *think* he posted in another thread that he only has continuous lighting source. Could've been someone else though.

This was my first attempt at this kind of thing. I used a Canon 24-105 lens. Re: frame bursts: I like to wait for the moment and try to catch it. I'm more of a stalker/hunter then a blitzer kind
of shooter. So for now it's all single shots as I also have no continual powerful light source.

This was my first attempt at this kind of thing. I used a Canon 24-105 lens. Re: frame bursts: I like to wait for the moment and try to catch it. I'm more of a stalker/hunter then a blitzer kind
of shooter. So for now it's all single shots as I also have no continual powerful light source.

You need flash for drops not a constant/continual light source.

But the flash cant fire at 10 frames per sec...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back