water fountain

I like the second shot, but pay attention to the side space. On the vertical crop, keep it even. I know, your thinking that centers the subject. It works in this case because your subject has two "lines" that roughly follow the Rule of Thirds. As it is, it looks awkward.

are you referring to the deadspace in the top left?

I'm not sure if it is just me, but these feel dark. Obviously you are somewhat limited since you want to freeze the motion, but the exif says you were only at ISO 100 so I think you can notch that up a bit.

I'm not sure if it is just me, but these feel dark. Obviously you are somewhat limited since you want to freeze the motion, but the exif says you were only at ISO 100 so I think you can notch that up a bit.

i'll note that. thanks

I like the second shot, but pay attention to the side space. On the vertical crop, keep it even. I know, your thinking that centers the subject. It works in this case because your subject has two "lines" that roughly follow the Rule of Thirds. As it is, it looks awkward.

are you referring to the deadspace in the top left?

No, the space on the left side of the fountain head, and the right side of the water stream.

Mine:
fountain-31.jpg

It looks like you cropped it to keep the subject off center, which is unnecessary here.

bitter jeweler, i see what you're saying. i naturally like to take the focus and put it off center, but i see what you mean now.

Actually because of the fluid motion I prefer the extra space :) Without it I feel as if the motion is being crammed into a tight spot.

LOL.

Confusing opinions.

That's all they are.

:thumbup:

shmne, you like the fountain head cramped up against the side?

well hold on here a minute sir! I never said that :lmao:

No I just feel it needs the breathing room on the right, kind of like when you take a side profile of someone's face you want to leave a bit of room on the side they are facing.

;)

I see your point.
I disagree though.
The flow of water after it's apex is down. Logic tells us this. Gravity and all.
Logically, it doesn't need that much space on that side because it isn't moving in that direction, like a gaze, a bird flying, animal running, or a car racing to the right. Furthermore, the water stream curves back to the left. What direction of motion is this indicating?

But then you agree the left needs more space? You agree it is cramped and needs more breathing room? How about you post up your idea of a nicely composed shot for this. Just clone in some background for the left side.

But this is all opinion, and it is up to the creator to decide what is a successful image.

thisn.jpg

This is what I was thinking, I also took the time to slightly brighten and change the saturation just slightly. Also the faucet is slightly lighter for a better eye flow in my opinion.

Its close to the same crop as yours but just a hair more room on each side

Most reactions

New Topics

Back