Water splashes

Remi M.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took these with a friends (west_berliner) 50mm f1.8 nikkor lens. I took a long time of trail and error to get these. I had the d70s set up to 1/8000 f2. I had 3 500w halogen lights placed around the water. The water was in pan which was in a bigger pan to catch the water. Did it all in the garage, was pretty messy at the end. I made the splashes with a metal weight about the size of a socket.
Than in photoshop. I played around with the contrast, unsharp mask and curves. Also cloned out some chromatic abarations.

The challenge was to set the focus right. I tried to catch the front of the splash whenever possible. So dropping the weight in the same place was important. Just catching it at the right moment was pure chance. I set the camera to burst mode. But with Raw the time span is long between shots. probably took 400 exposures to get these 3.

208789209_748b70e6b3_b.jpg

208789333_6b0979bdb5_b.jpg

208789623_19c369d9a1_b.jpg

I really like what you have done here, it is something that i have been wanting to try for a while but not sure how the best way to go about it. I will try the way you have done it and see how i get on if they are any good i will post them up. Good detailed description.

Nice set of photos i will see what i can do.

I have tried this myself without much luck. What you have here is interesting, I espeacially like the last shot. I am wondering why you went with such a shallow DOF on these?

The reason for the shallow DOF:

I wanted to keep 1/8000 shutter speed to capture a crisp shot of the water. So that left only the aparture to play with. Anything above f2.5 left me very dark photos. I didn't have anymore lights to set up and the 3 500w were getting the room pretty hot already. So I tried a higher aparture with a higher ISO. That worked but it lit up the background and I wanted to keep it black.

I see, thanks for the info. 1/8000 is kind of extreme, 1/500 to 1/1000 should keep it nice and crisp and give you more latitude to play with should you want it, just an idea :)

Hmm maybe your right. I tried it at those shutter speeds. I was consistently getting blurry photos but maybe it was just out of focus.

Nice series of shots. I can appreciate how hard it is to capture the moment. I think you shutter speed of 1/8000 is the ideal way to go, slower would get movement. My only suggestion would be to set up a series of small mirrors out of view to get more life into the water. Otherwise, well done. Philip.

www.philipweirphotography.com

Hmm mirrors. Good idea, I'm going to have to try that.

awesome to see my lens being put to some good use. i've always wanted to try this but haven't gotten to it. nice to see you did for the short while you had my lens. :)

like i told you before, i really like 2 due to the shape. its a really strange, interesting shape.

great shots for a first time! ill have to try when i get my lens back :D

Most reactions

Back