Watercolor #1

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I used to work a little watercolor, unfortunately it usually resulted in a muddled mess. LOL Tried an interesting new (for me) technique in PS today. The method works well, but the image needs to be simple. Enjoy

Easter Watercolor (1 of 1).jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

I was looking forward to a real watercolor. This is nice, though; she is such a cutie.

I was looking forward to a real watercolor. This is nice, though; she is such a cutie.
It's not, nor will it ever compete with a real watercolor, but this technique comes closer than anything else I've tried. My next project is to figure out how to print a heavy textured paper on an ink jet. Strarthmore supposedly has a line just for this.

Not a real water color but it still looks pretty good, I would make a print and frame it. I should mess around with more pics using my Topaz.

I wonder if it would work to soften the outlines some? I think it would be lovely of her in a photo print without the texture and keeping it warm and soft in tone, wonderful for a little girl.

Or..... what about printing it on photo paper that has a bit of a textured look. I like Strathmore, I've used their stuff a lot in cards, photo frame cards, etc.

Will have to check out what they have for digital prints, I can't think offhand what brands of sample packs I boughtt that had various textures or smoothness, more warm or cool tones to the off white color. The samples have the names of the papers on the back but if it's just for my personal use I don't mind (wouldn't use samples for what I submit to exhibitions).

I really like this textured paper, Smoke. Suits this processing and the subject matter very well. I like it!

Next time, join us in The Creative Corner and give us a real watercolor, man! :whip:

The textured paper is a photograph of an actual sheet of water color paper overlayed as a texture. My next problem is to try to find a textured paper that will feed through my ink jet printer and not bleed.

I've never been very good at watercolor. I've dabbled in oil, but most of my better work was with Prismcolor pencils.

I've never been very good at watercolor. I've dabbled in oil, but most of my better work was with Prismcolor pencils.
Those are great pencils, smooth and waxy. You should sketch something out! :icon_thumleft:

I wonder if it would work to soften the outlines some? I think it would be lovely of her in a photo print without the texture and keeping it warm and soft in tone, wonderful for a little girl.

Or..... what about printing it on photo paper that has a bit of a textured look. I like Strathmore, I've used their stuff a lot in cards, photo frame cards, etc.
The texture layer I added to the image was intentional to show "What if" it was on actual paper. If printed on paper the texture would be deleted, see above post. The problem is that papers used for watercolor are thicker than most printers will run. Ink jet printers work better for this but it requires a paper that's coated or the ink runs. Strathmore supposedly has a paper for this purpose, but I haven't found it local yet.

Those are great pencils, smooth and waxy. You should sketch something out! :icon_thumleft:
I got hooked on Prismcolor when we were traveling a lot. The equipment took up very little space. I love the ability to build up and blend the color. The downside is it's a time consuming process, even a small panel can take days. I thought I had ppreviously posted a couple from my firehouse series. I'll snap a couple shots and repost.

Most reactions

Back