Waterfail x 3

RobNZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is it possible that a scene can sometimes fail to deliver a pleasing composition, or is it that the photographer that has failed?

I spent about 90 minutes shooting this waterfall from pretty much every angle available and still no dice, arrived well before sunset, tried various places, heights, orientation, shutter speeds and just couldnt pull off a good shot compostionally that I was happy with onsite. In the end I thought bugger it, I will at least wait until the "blue hour" and get some nice colour through but it was just flat and meh.

So here are 3 I have I tweaked in an attempt to polish a turd, the sky area was close to blowing out in every frame, so the colour has been added post to avoid an otherwise dull white nothingness.

waterfall01.jpg

waterfall02.jpg

waterfall03.jpg

...and lastly, the only shot of the day that I actually dont mind. Not sure if the "shallow" depth of field works for you guys, but I like it.

A merge of 2 consecutive frames at 420mm f/5.6, the merge was an afterthought.

kauripoint03.jpg

Last edited:
I know I still have a naive eye, but I like all 3.

The second pic is the most interesting for me... nice colours and good use of longer exposure. I'd like to see a little more headroom over the trees. The ever-so-slight cropping causes some visual tension for me.

I think what you are searching for, and why you are unhappy with these, is the lack of dynamic in the images. A waterfall implies energy, but your dominant lines are horizontal. Try a shot that creates a diagonal where the waterfall hits the pool. Or, you could exaggerate the diagonal you got started in the second pic.

what was the setting for the first 3?

what was the setting for the first 3?

EF-S 18-55mm Kit lens, @ 18mm ISO 100.

First one was f/13 @ 15 seconds, no filter, getting fairly dark.

2nd and 3rd f/13 @ 2-2.5 seconds.

I must have the same "naive eye" as Skyclad... but I like those waterfall pics. And hadn't you told you had added the rosy colour to the sky in post, I would have believed the colour'd been there. So apparently you coloured it with SKILL!

AND you had a visualisation of WHAT exactly you wanted out of this waterfall. Quite a step forward, I must say. Sad to hear your photos didn't live up to what you had expected from them.

If they were mine, I'd be over the moon, though. They'd range among my best. Shows just how mediocre my photography is...

I must have the same "naive eye" as Skyclad... but I like those waterfall pics. And hadn't you told you had added the rosy colour to the sky in post, I would have believed the colour'd been there. So apparently you coloured it with SKILL!

AND you had a visualisation of WHAT exactly you wanted out of this waterfall. Quite a step forward, I must say. Sad to hear your photos didn't live up to what you had expected from them.

If they were mine, I'd be over the moon

I really have to agree with all this. I actually think these would make wonderful wall hangings.

The second pic is the most interesting for me... nice colours and good use of longer exposure. I'd like to see a little more headroom over the trees. The ever-so-slight cropping causes some visual tension for me.

I think what you are searching for, and why you are unhappy with these, is the lack of dynamic in the images. A waterfall implies energy, but your dominant lines are horizontal. Try a shot that creates a diagonal where the waterfall hits the pool. Or, you could exaggerate the diagonal you got started in the second pic.

Yeah I wasnt happy about the trees at the top, I have a heap of frames to pick and choose and I did some vertical overlap shots to overcome my meager 18mm. Put this one together based on your feedback.

waterfall04.jpg

If they were mine, I'd be over the moon, though. They'd range among my best. Shows just how mediocre my photography is...

Thanks LaFoto, the perfectionist in me is hard to please, just ask my poor wife, lol, comments like these are slowly making me realise how often I am wrong with my own critique perhaps.

I really have to agree with all this. I actually think these would make wonderful wall hangings.

Cheers skyclad.

Here is another example from earlier in the week where again I wasnt happy so it never made it online until now. This shot is razor sharp all the way into the furtherest rocks and trees (50mm 1.8) but at small sizes with low res as seen here it looks nothing special, a 40" (corner to corner) print on the other hand would look quite good I suspect though.

waterfall05.jpg

I like them! This can really be good examples for newbies that you dont need expensive glass to take good photos if you know what you are doing.

Here is my edit to brighten the trees on the top a little.
waterfall.jpg

I think the waterfall is sublime and you shot it well. Little this as mentioned could help but very nice!

i love the edit. the fill light on the trees really works.

great pics! #1 is the best imop w/ edit

I have a heap of frames to pick and choose and I did some vertical overlap shots to overcome my meager 18mm. Put this one together based on your feedback.

waterfall04.jpg

This is the winner in my book. Good composition, nice lighting, lovely, feathery water.... I would maybe try a little levels/curves work to brighten up the foliate image right a hair, but other than that, well done.

Waterfalls are pleasant, pretty things, but don't easily translate into good photos.

tirediron said:
This is the winner in my book. Good composition, nice lighting, lovely, feathery water.... I would maybe try a little levels/curves work to brighten up the foliate image right a hair, but other than that, well done.

Thanks tirediron, done.

waterfall045.jpg

Most reactions

Back