Waterfall.

SarahTomlin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
051a.jpg

When we were in Austria on vacation and there were mountains all around us, and consequently also waterfalls, I tried several times to get this effect of silky water, but nothing worked out (which is also because I couldn't make myself go mountain walking and lugging a tripod around!). So either my attempts to handhold my slower shutter speed photos failed because of camera shake (which was to be expected, but I tried, all the same), or I had to use shorter shutter speeds and thus didn't get water as silky as here!

But the long exposure and the sun at the top didn't work perfectly together here, either, did they?

wow....i thought it turned out good.

the bottom half turned out great!

look up gradient density filters for this exact type of situation.
or create a seperate exposure for the blow out, whatever ya gotta do!

:)

wow....i thought it turned out good.

the bottom half turned out great!

look up gradient density filters for this exact type of situation.
or create a seperate exposure for the blow out, whatever ya gotta do!

:)

I think you mean Natural Density filters. Gradients are the ND filters that gradually go from clear to gray. Hold on a sec, i think you were just talking about fixing the over exposed sunny spot? Then a grad would sort of work. I still wouldn't use one in that situation because the beginning of the ND portion of the filter would clearly darken half the frame making it look awful. I would stick to using them only in circumstances where there's a straight horizon.

As for the re-edit on the picture, i think you went a little over board with the colours, it sort of turned out a bit childish in my eyes. Kick down the saturation a lot. Maybe boost the contrast a small tad from the original. If you work with photoshop or lightroom i suggest using the curves option to tweak this to perfection.

Last edited:
I love the rocks in the foreground and the smoothness of the water. That bright spot spoils it though. If you shot in RAW and have photoshop i would recommend you up the saturation to get the sky more blue and then do another layer where the waterfall is as it looks in your first post, put the two layers together and sky fixed!
Otherwise love the pic!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back