Watermark question. :)

I am new to this forum, but I have a question regarding watermarks. If I watermark a photo, should I flatten the image to permanently imbed the watermark, save and post the flattened image to make theft difficult? I know it's not impossible but it seems more difficult to retouch an integral part of the photo than to open it and simply remove a layer.

You can't post an unflattened image as a format that the web recognizes...ever...under any circumstances.

You have to flatten the image to save it as a normal image format ( PNG, JPEG, etc...)

I just noticed that a comment I made earlier was deleted.. . apparently by MOD's? I am wondering why.. since it was not rude... or scathing, or in any way bad. I merely answered the question!

I just noticed that a comment I made earlier was deleted.. . apparently by MOD's? I am wondering why.. since it was not rude... or scathing, or in any way bad. I merely answered the question!

Your comment, Bynx's comment, and also Mogul's comment was deleted because they were either rude or inflammatory. Or in Mogul's case, it was directly relating to Bynx's rude assertion.

Yes, I saw your comment. Yes it was rude. And yes, it was also kind of ironic for you to post something so heavily against watermarks since you yourself use one... At least on 3/5 photos on your flickr front page.

You generally have a pattern of saying rude, or condescending things, putting an exclamation point after it, and then a smilie face emoticon to somehow suggest that your comment was "light hearted" and "no offense meant." It's not really that tough to see past it, IMO.

Just giving you a heads up! ;)

I have recently began placing a "watermark" on my photos. One of my flickr photos was stolen about 100 times, and I really don't have the time to report all those copyright vios to various websites.

Placing a logo, watermark, or copyright notice in the lower corner, for my reason at least, seems pointless. If someone really wants to steal a photo, they're going to do it, but that placement makes it way too easy for the mark to be cropped out.

Your comment, Bynx's comment, and also Mogul's comment was deleted because they were either rude or inflammatory. Or in Mogul's case, it was directly relating to Bynx's rude assertion.

Yes, I saw your comment. Yes it was rude. And yes, it was also kind of ironic for you to post something so heavily against watermarks since you yourself use one... At least on 3/5 photos on your flickr front page.

You generally have a pattern of saying rude, or condescending things, putting an exclamation point after it, and then a smilie face emoticon to somehow suggest that your comment was "light hearted" and "no offense meant." It's not really that tough to see past it, IMO.

Just giving you a heads up! ;)

:)

Watermarks should be subtle. However, they shouldn't be "plain," which many users here are implying. Artists work is very different from photography work. Artists simply use a very indistinguishable script integrated into the piece because the style of their work identifies themselves enough that they don't need exclusive identification.

In other words, when you see a piece by van gogh, you know it's van gogh without having to ask any questions as to who painted it. Photography is a little bit different. You can't tell who took a photograph unless there is some way to identify the photographer. Some people do this through Exif, I choose to do it though a watermark or "logo."

Not only do I use a watermark, it's simple, and easy to look at... along with well presented and easy to read. O Hey Tyler's watermark and logo is like this also. There is nothing wrong or cheesy in doing this. It is the single most important marketing tool you have. You need something that identifies you, that sticks in a viewers head and will make them remember you the next time they need photos.

I chose an expensive route for my watermark. The font in my "watermark/logo" is a $600.00+ font package, depending on where you get it from. However, I can say that there aren't many other people out there who have their logo in that font. It exclusively identifies me and my work, when it is seen. Where as, a million photographers use Edwardian Script and Scriptina as their watermark font thinking that they are setting themselves apart from others, and really they blend in worse than someone who uses Times or Arial.

Not only do I use a watermark, it's simple, and easy to look at... along with well presented and easy to read. O Hey Tyler's watermark and logo is like this also. There is nothing wrong or cheesy in doing this. It is the single most important marketing tool you have. You need something that identifies you, that sticks in a viewers head and will make them remember you the next time they need photos.

I chose an expensive route for my watermark. The font in my "watermark/logo" is a $600.00+ font package, depending on where you get it from. However, I can say that there aren't many other people out there who have their logo in that font. It exclusively identifies me and my work, when it is seen. Where as, a million photographers use Edwardian Script and Scriptina as their watermark font thinking that they are setting themselves apart from others, and really they blend in worse than someone who uses Times or Arial.

What font is used in your WM/Logo? I believe mine is Gotham (which is a damn sexy font IMO).

What font is used in your WM/Logo? I believe mine is Gotham (which is a damn sexy font IMO).

Gotham is an awesome font!

Precious Sans is mine :)

I like the look of Precious Sans. Nice and simple, easy to read, while having some characteristics which separate it. :thumbup:

Do you ever go to FontSquirrel.com? I frickin' love that site.

I like the look of Precious Sans. Nice and simple, easy to read, while having some characteristics which separate it. :thumbup:

Haha, the entire thing that sold me on Precious Sans was the lowercase "g." hahaha.

Anyway, a few people have always directed me to FontSquirrel, but I have never actually looked into it. I'm on it right now digging around. Good website :D

Haha, the entire thing that sold me on Precious Sans was the lowercase "g." hahaha.

Anyway, a few people have always directed me to FontSquirrel, but I have never actually looked into it. I'm on it right now digging around. Good website :D

Yeah dude! Font squirrel is great. Wonderful resource for designers and specifically web designers with the @fontface styling.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back