Ways of getting focus and exposure right with spot metering

Goldcoin79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When doing a portrait of some one I use aperture priority to set a shallow DOF and set the camera to spot metering for correct exposure of the face and have the focus to auto single point focus. Now my question is how you go about it if focus points are not quite where you want them or you want to use the centre focus point for accuracy as this is the only cross focus point?

I will explain how I have been doing it and perhaps someone can let me know if I am doing it the correct way or if there is a better way of doing this. If I have selected to use the centre cross focus point I put that focus point on my subjects face and press the exposure lock button (I have my exposure/focus lock button set to exposure lock) then I half press the shutter button to lock the focus then recompose and take the picture. If there is a focus point where I need it then I put it over the face half press the shutter button to focus then take the picture.

I am pleased with most of the results I have have but just interested if I am doing this the best way or if there is another way I should be doing things.

It will depend somewhat on what body you're using; focus in essentially the manner you have described, but I change my active focusing point to be the one that is where I want it (over the eyes usually). Sometimes I'll have to move the camera slightly to get it placed exactly where I want it to be.

Using a Nikon D5100, it has 11 focus points with the centre one being the only cross focus point.

• Put the camera in manual mode.
  • Position the point you want to use where you want to use it on the subject.
  • Dial in correct exposure settings.
  • Recompose to taste.
  • Start shooting.

• Recompose to taste. *
  • Start shooting.
*Ensuring that your depth of field is sufficient to maintain sharp focus on the new composition.

I just put the loupe down on the right place and move the rear standard back and forth.. oh, wait.

If you camera supports it, you could in theory change to a focusing screen with a microprism of similar, to enable accurate manual focusing across the field of view, but if you're relying on AF you're pretty much stuck putting a focus point on the thing you want in focus, and recomposing. Get comfortable with your tripod head controls to make this easier.

• Recompose to taste. *
  • Start shooting.
*Ensuring that your depth of field is sufficient to maintain sharp focus on the new composition.
That's done as part of step 3.

Using aperture priority automatic and spot metering is not a convenient, or smart, way to shoot. As Buckster suggests, put the camera in Manual exposure mode when using spot metering.

Spot metering for portraits with a Nikon digital SLR is, in my experience, mostly unneeded, and can easily lead to more cock-ups than fix-ups, especially if the user is not intimately familiar, practiced, and aware of exactly how spot metering mode actually works. In aperture-priority mode, spot metering means you will need to lock-in the meter reading for each composition, and make sure that the reading is always up-to-the-second appropriate for the scene.

Spot metering is an option if you know how it works but incident metering is a bit easier and is probably used most for portraits. Another way to focus is to compose and then choose a point that falls on the subject, usually the eye. Focusing and then recomposing can throw the subject out of focus at very shallow DOFs.

Thanks for all the advice so far, I think manual mode may be the way forward regarding the exposure. An off camera meter or tripod is not always an option as sometimes when I visit people and have my camera with me I may find I want to take a portrait of someone and only have my camera and a couple of lenses with me, like when I went round my sisters and took some pictures of my niece.

hey, there are plenty of light meter apps for smartphones that actually do a pretty good job of metering accurately.. perhaps you want to look into these. clients are always impressed when you start doing off camera light meter readings.. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back