Ways to make group photos exciting?

Well depending on the group size the last one I did I put 4-5 of them in a semi circle around a table with a laptop and some file folders/paper work and then had the rest of them in the background either standing and holding coffee cups, leaning in like they were participating in a group discussion, or pulling down the projector screen behind the group, etc - so it all looked like they were doing something. We actually had a fairly large group so rather than trying to do one massive group shot I split them into smaller groups so I could get a few more dynamic images rather than one huge static Bataan Death March style photo.

Possibly one way is to pose them casually, sort of all over the place, but I doubt if you could get 20 people to do that and still stay in frame.

Thats my problem. It's hard to get that many people posed in a way that isn't just a smooshed mass of bodies..

Pop Photo ran an article about this 5,6 months back, and it had an EXCELLENT workplace shot of maybe 30 people, all posed loosely, in a stock warehouse....people up on overhead pallet rack empty spots, people sitting on stacks of stock on wrapped pallets, some people down by the forklift or jitney (do they use the word jitney in Maine?), and so on, He did it as a two-frame stitch, and it looks FABULOUS. Each person had plenty of room, and they were spread out across the entire field of view, and even at magazine double-truck size, you could SEE everybody really well. Maybe the best group shot I have ever seen. As in ever.

Here's a LOW-res version of it. It looks only so-so crushed down to this low-bit size. Seen printed in the magazine, it looked awesome!

pph1213_gro_01.jpg

Pop Photo ran an article about this 5,6 months back, and it had an EXCELLENT workplace shot of maybe 30 people, all posed loosely, in a stock warehouse....people up on overhead pallet rack empty spots, people sitting on stacks of stock on wrapped pallets, some people down by the forklift or jitney (do they use the word jitney in Maine?), and so on, He did it as a two-frame stitch, and it looks FABULOUS. Each person had plenty of room, and they were spread out across the entire field of view, and even at magazine double-truck size, you could SEE everybody really well. Maybe the best group shot I have ever seen. As in ever.

Pro tips for posting subjects in group portrait photography | Popular Photography | Popular Photography

can it be silly - can you incorporate those stick mustaches; smiles...

Pop Photo ran an article about this 5,6 months back, and it had an EXCELLENT workplace shot of maybe 30 people, all posed loosely, in a stock warehouse....people up on overhead pallet rack empty spots, people sitting on stacks of stock on wrapped pallets, some people down by the forklift or jitney (do they use the word jitney in Maine?), and so on, He did it as a two-frame stitch, and it looks FABULOUS. Each person had plenty of room, and they were spread out across the entire field of view, and even at magazine double-truck size, you could SEE everybody really well. Maybe the best group shot I have ever seen. As in ever. Here's a LOW-res version of it. It looks only so-so crushed down to this low-bit size. Seen printed in the magazine, it looked awesome! pph1213_gro_01.jpg

Very cool! I'd have to get a motivated group but I'd love to try something like that.

We call it a fork truck here.

Trying to get group shots of my colleagues is like herding cats. We're spread all across the country and only get together once a year. The days are filled with the corporate BS that allows us to get together, but lemme tell ya, the evenings are ours and the bar bills skyrocket.

First you have to tell them to make nice so we can get one that passes the smell test for management to put in the news letter, but then tell them to "pull a face". That's the one that gets the e-mails rapid firing the next Monday morning and smiles of the memories of the past week we had.

2012%20SI%20Natl%20Meeting%20-%20Orlando-165-XL.jpg

For some reason corporate culture loves a group photo. So much so that I take one after every training, meeting, orientation etc... The problem isn't how to take a well exposed, sharp photo it's how to make it more dynamic and exciting looking. Mind you this is for groups of 20 plus.

Any ideas?

Okay, I'll bite...

1. What was the meeting or group about? For instance, if they took an MBTI or DiSC assessment, I'd have each person pose by holding up a card or name tag with their type or score. Lots of flip charting? Then have some people hold up some flip charts (or put the white boards in the background). The point is: don't make the pose divorced from the purpose of the team or meeting. Instead, incorporate something from the team's purpose in to the shot. Maybe they were trying to figure out a way to improve market share in Dayton....then put a map of Dayton in the background. Now, to you none of that may be that dynamic. But to the participants they'll love it.

2. Give them or have them bring in a prop to pose with. For instance, maybe the team was put together to figure out how to reduce cycle time for the Rhinocycleostomeator measurement sequence. So tell everyone prior that they need to think of an object that to them summarizes what the issue/problem/solution was all about (and they can't bring in anything with time or money--two copout answers). I've had people show up with packets of instant oatmeal, a bobo doll, a crappy tool that breaks easily, a bottle of superglue, headphones. Then pose 'em with it. Or have the team give out a symbol or object (whether it's a unit coin, a stuffed mascot, a cap or shirt).

3. Have them create a team poster. The poster should have some sort of drawing, a team name, and a team motto. I once had a team from the Budget-Finance office call themselves "The Biffs" (for budget-finance). They drew a picture of a California guy (in jams, blonde hair and wayfarers) trying to catch bubbles (the bubbles were small savings that would float away if they didn't act quickly enough). Another team (dealing with a team assigned to plan for restructuring b/c of cost cutting) drew a sinking ship with the motto "we may be sinking but we're still thinking." Once they create the poster, the team then poses with it.

4. Capture a visual joke. Have the leader appearing to be speaking with everyone else appearing to be asleep. Or have no-one focusing at the camera and everyone looking at their cellphone or pretending to text someone. Or have someone crazy photobomb the portrait (it helps to bring in a Sasquatch costume or a Bush or Obama mask). Or make a police lineup (with the height measurement in the background...you can pull this off if you have a portable roll of white paper with heights...you just unroll it and tape it to the wall).

Or you could get lucky and your flash could break and shock the crap out of you wile they watch you twitch on the ground ZAP ZAP ZAP ZAP.

P.S had 580ex knock me on my butt once and it hurts.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back