Ways to make group photos exciting?

runnah

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For some reason corporate culture loves a group photo. So much so that I take one after every training, meeting, orientation etc... The problem isn't how to take a well exposed, sharp photo it's how to make it more dynamic and exciting looking. Mind you this is for groups of 20 plus.

Any ideas?

Possibly one way is to pose them casually, sort of all over the place, but I doubt if you could get 20 people to do that and still stay in frame.

Possibly one way is to pose them casually, sort of all over the place, but I doubt if you could get 20 people to do that and still stay in frame.

Thats my problem. It's hard to get that many people posed in a way that isn't just a smooshed mass of bodies..

pyrotechnics

Yes, explosions and fireworks and all that behind them
or in the case of *some* groups .. with them.

Ever watch CaddyShack ?

or maybe a casual group shot like the scene in Monty Pythons "Tennis anyone" :)

I feel as if my question is not being taken seriously...

I feel as if my question is not being taken seriously...

I'm trying, man.

Here's another one: Find some examples of more dynamic group poses and print them large enough to show around. Show the examples to the group and ask your subjects to try to do something similar.

Does it have to be the entire group in the same photo? Split them up into manageable chunks.

How about a little more information: Give us a "for example" of a group shoot you've done recently that you didn't think was exciting enough; how many people, venue, what was the nature of the group activity and what trades/professions were involved?

Point the flash straights up toward the ceiling or have a 60 to 75 degree angle. Increase the flash's power. Set the shutter speed to 250. Get everyone to smile and say "Cheeeeeeese!"

Point the flash straights up toward the ceiling or have a 60 to 75 degree angle. Increase the flash's power. Set the shutter speed to 250. Get everyone to smile and say "Cheeeeeeese!"

Thank you for that insightful insight.

Ladders and stairs are good equipments to use. When we had our flying event here in St. Louis we had over a hundred participants in a photoshoot. I utilized an air stairs (stairs used in the old days of boarding an airplane from the runways...) then I shot a vertical pano of all of them so it is easily recognizable. Your 20 is not too much and if there is room you can asked them to do fun things like jumping with their hands up or doing crazy stuffs like throwing balloons in the air...or even confettis. The more action the better...

Seriously?? hmm... have you tried in say a meeting room having fewer than half seated along one side of a table - and make it not full body shots but from table level and above - and a little over half standing behind them. Unless there's room for 3 rows, one seated, two standing? - I don't do corporate, this is all that comes to mind.

Or you go outside and have them all wave out the windows!... or maybe not. lol Can't think of anything else to do with a bunch of suits. Other than have you looked at magazines that cover local/area businesses? those seem to often have group shots. Not that they may be anything different or interesting.

Suppose it depends on the group and if they need to use the photo for professional purposes or if it's a more casual event.

Most reactions

Back