WB/Gray card?

That One Guy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Take a look at this

it is a WB/gray card. would something like this be useful both before shot and during PP?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use a Whibal grey card - I'll usually take a pre-shot of the general area I'm looking to photograph and just simply stick the whibal card in the picture. Then when I'm post-processing, I can simply use the eyedropper to click on the card and determine the white balance setting and then apply to the remaining pictures in that group.

Other options for use is to shoot the card itself in the setting of your anticipated shots and then preset the WB on your body. I have done this, but the other method is less activity pre-shot. I shoot RAW, so I usually keep my camera in Auto -1 with the exception of shooting w/ flash when I do change it to Flash -2.

I use a Whibal grey card - I'll usually take a pre-shot of the general area I'm looking to photograph and just simply stick the whibal card in the picture. Then when I'm post-processing, I can simply use the eyedropper to click on the card and determine the white balance setting and then apply to the remaining pictures in that group.

Other options for use is to shoot the card itself in the setting of your anticipated shots and then preset the WB on your body. I have done this, but the other method is less activity pre-shot. I shoot RAW, so I usually keep my camera in Auto -1 with the exception of shooting w/ flash when I do change it to Flash -2.

thanks for the info

while we're on the topic... is there a "better" way to WB; meaning is an 18% gray better than a pure white?

Ok, so I am confused on the grey card issue. I thought I had read that you use a grey card for exposure. Can it be used for setting the exposure as well? Such as, you point the camera to the grey card, then set your aperture and shutter based on the light meter?

And...... does it matter how far away from a lightsource you are when using a grey card or white card for setting the white balance? For example, inside the house with incandescent lamps scattered around as your only lightsource, should you be close to the source or just be in the general vicinity?

Most reactions

Back