Web Cam for Stills

R31VER

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction; I am looking to set up a camera to take a photo every 20 minutes and upload that image to the web or cloud. The property this will be located at does have a router and internet connection.

Doing a search on the net for webcams just seems to bring up movie typr cameras. I am specifically looking for one that will just take a tradional still image every so often (15 - 30 minutes)(maybe switch off when its dark.

any suggestions ?

I haven't used webcams in over 10 years.. but.. you're basically saying that you've found cars that can do 60mph.. but
you need one that will do 40mph.. :D

It's a software thing.
Every web cam will do what you need.
Most likely.

So what are you saying here; as cameras can now do video what is the point in stills ? this is quite an unexpected response from a photography forum.

I am simply just wishing to keep a record of a view out of a window (not necessarily in a time delay sort of thing) for a year or two, a picture an hour would do. As I am only at that property every few weeks it would be a nice touch if I could view the images online, there will only ever be me viewing them so even if it could just send the picture through the router (which can be left on permanently) to a cloud then that would just be perfect.

So what are you saying here; as cameras can now do video what is the point in stills ? this is quite an unexpected response from a photography forum.

No.
That's not even remotely close to what I said.
I can't explain it any simpler then I already did.

EVERY SINGLE WEBCAM (cam=camera=VIDEO) can take still shots (frames out of a video).
And like the post above me says, and as I said too - it's SOFTWARE, not HARDWARE related.

Most reactions

Back