Don Kondra

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
donkondra.weebly.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Greetings,

I recently discovered my ISP has discontinued personal web space hosting, sigh..

FYI - I was paying $5/month for hosting, the site is over ten years old and the interface is way beyond me
rolleyes.gif

What this means is I haven't bothered to update the site because I would have to pay the person that originally set it up for me.

It's purpose is basically as a remote portfolio and my woodworking services haven't changed much over this period.

I never cared for the site address (donkon.sasktelwebsite.com) but I wasn't willing to pay for a domain name mostly because nobody is going to find me unless they search for ME anyway
smile.gif

When asked for my web site address I would simply suggest they google my name and click on the first result. Much easier than rattling off the actual address..

Fast forward to the future, he, he...

I've discovered that web site hosting and creation has come a long way, duh...

Sites like GoDaddy and iPage offer domain name, site hosting and easy (for me) creation tools for under $5/month.

Weebly even offers hosting for free and you can purchase a domain name for ~$15/year.

No messing around with HTML and FTP, etc...

BEFORE I discovered the Weebly free service I signed up with iPage.

For less than I was paying I have up to 6 pages with a domain name.

http://donkondra.com

And this is the free version of weebly.

http://donkondraproductphotography.weebly.com

If your web site needs are modest and your computer skills are slightly better than non existant it is now possible to have a web presence with a unique domain name for less than the cost of a case of beer per year
biggrin.gif

Cheers, Don

Last edited:
Where do you live where a case of beer costs $50? !!!!!!

But yes welcome to the internet age :) I've been doing this for years and people always give me an interesting look when I fill our my email address as chris _at_ garrbz _dot_ com. OMG YOU HAVE YOUR OWN DOMAIN!!! As if I must be a rich billionaire to afford one.

Mind you for the cost 4 hasseys you could register a gTLD and we could reach you at http://donkondra.

LOL

Depends on which part of Canada you are from.

In northern Ontario a "case" is considered to be 24, in middle Saskatchewan it's 12 @ $24 :)

I will admit it's been years since I've considered domain names and web sites.

My first site went up in 2002 when professional web site design was +$1000 for something relatively simple and domain names were over $100.

I had a friends son build my site for $100 and my ISP gave me 1 MB of personal web space with my dial up internet for $45/month :)

Cheers, Don

You really are the same as us Aussies aren't you. Same expensive alcohol, same crappy currency (well until the US economy committed suicide anyway), and last time I went to Vancouver there were Australians everywhere and I even managed to buy myself a case of Tooheys Extra Dry :)

100km further south in the land of opportunity I only had the opportunity to find Fosters :puke:

Must be the British Commonwealth connection ... except we don't talk funny like you guys ... eh?

Most reactions

Back