Website Opinions

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Johnboy2978, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like the flash intro...but the images look pixelated. I'm sure they are downsized for quick loading but they don't look as good as they could. Or it may be that the images are linked to the size of the browser window...which messes with the size and causes pixelation. If you can lock the size and make it sharper...that would really help.

I'm not digging the plain white background on the front page or the main page. It feels like it needs a background color with borders and stuff like that.

The images are great, that's what's important...but proper presentation will really help.

2. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah Mike, the flash pics are somewhat pixelated which is from trying to scale down the size and keep it loading quicker. It's kind of a trade off I guess. I'll keep looking at it.

3. Inverness Photographic

Inverness Photographic TPF Noob!

The Flash file does take sometime to load but it is a good intro.

What did you use to write the homepage the one after the intro...

Looked at it but I could only open it in "Word" I use Front Page.

Do you set your page out in a table if not it maybe the reason things look different and the links are messed up. Try a table layout 2 Cols x 6 Rows, set the table to float in the centre, merge all your left hand cols for the picture and put the links in the right hand side.

John

4. Johnboy2978

Photos OK to edit
    Hey John, thanks for the input. Yeah, I used Word. Didn't even think of Frontpage but I think I have that as well on my pc. And no, I didn't consider a table. I might give that a try. That's the one thing I really hate about computers, is that you can make something run perfect on the machine you are on, then it runs completely different on another.

Is the flash intro taking an inordinate amount of time? Also does it give you warning about active x controls and such when you first bring up the site?

5. zedin

zedin TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
  6. Inverness Photographic

No I get no warnings but it is more than 10 seconds before anything appears. Know it doesn't sound a lot but most of your visitors will have left by then. Can you display an message to say "Into Loading" with one of those count thingys and an option to skip to "Home Page".

7. Inverness Photographic

Oh another one why save it as .mht, I have never heard of that before that may cause some issues. Save as .htm or .html.

8. Johnboy2978

Photos OK to edit
    John, I did those pages in Word and save them as a single web page file, primarily b/c this is the first time I've ever played around with trying to make a site and have been doing it trial and error. By doing it as a single page file, I didn't have to worry about where I needed to put all those other image files, etc. to make it work.

9. niccig

niccig TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    zedin, I got the same result when trying to enter the page(after the main page). This was the message:

This document is a Single File Web Page, also known as a Web Archive file. If you are seeing this message, your browser or editor doesn't support Web Archive files. Please download a browser that supports Web Archive, such as Microsoft Internet Explorer.

I am also using firefox on mac. Unfortunately I don't think IE is available for mac anymore. I also agree the images in the flash intro are really pixelated. Are they being resized automatically by some program, or did you create new versions of the image (resized in photoshop/gimp to be the appropriate size)? When I let jalbum resize my images, they looked like crap, but were much better when I made a low-res duplicate.

10. Johnboy2978

Photos OK to edit
    Well I guess I created something that is only available for windows OS systems with IE then. Looks like there are quite a few variables involved in making something universal. Initially the flash pics looked a little pixelated for some shots when I viewed it, then I re did some of them and that looked passable on my machine. I don't know.

11. Johnboy2978

Photos OK to edit
    Ok, last time...I just converted everything to .html instead of the .mht stuff from MS word. Can you guys take ooooooone more look and see what you think.

I'm going to add one more thing which is an option for dialup/slow connection v. broadband. For now though,
    broadband -> http://www.countsphotography.poijoy.com/
    dialup/slow -> http://www.countsphotography.poijoy.com/Homepage.htm

Thanks guys. Hopefully this will straighten out my issues with my links being all over the place as well as the firefox users not being able to access it.

12. PhotoAddict

PhotoAddict TPF Noob!

Hi, Johnboy2978. I'm new to this forum but saw your thread and thought I could give you a good idea.

A couple of weeks ago I visited the DEMO Conference and saw a very interesting demonstration of a website tool called SiteKreator - may see it here http://www.demo.com/demonstrators/demo2006fall/79964.php. This builder is generally a combination of a web hosting platform and website tool (which is very very beginner-friendly, I tell you). I gave it a try at their booth and it seemed vey easy, hardly any chance to get something wrong.. I thought I would tell this to everyone in need of a website.

I have once worked with FrontPage, and this thing seems to be way way easier to use. Try it out if you wish - they have free personal accounts (but check if the free offer is still valid).