Wedding Ad Feedback?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by DGMPhotography, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Vtec44

Vtec44 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    From my own personal experience , unless you're involved with the wedding industry it is very rare to have a groom who is not part of the industry and also understands the details of a wedding. It's a different mentality. Do you want rustic wooden cross back chairs or shiny Mahogany fold up chairs? Why fresh flowers by the alter and not fake ones? charger plates or no charger plates? As a former groom myself, I can totally relate. As a photographer, I can only do so much to make something look good. If your suit pants are longer than a full break, you're not going to look good in photo. Same with if your suit jacket doesn't fit properly. Being one of the very few male photographers in an industry dominated by female vendors, I know the stereotype well and I totally use it to my advantage. But back to the subject, whenever I receive an email inquiry from a groom I don't treat it any differently. However, I know that I would lose that client based on statistics of my own business. So, talking to someone in person is completely different than online ads. You want the statistics to be in your favor to maximize your investment. I also have a very specific targeted audience that I go after, down to hair length. It's nothing personal. It's business. :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Read into it all you want, but you would still be wrong about my motives. I am not "picking on you" to feel superior or for any other reason. I am simply correcting an error that I see many people make. I speak other languages as well and have been teaching language for 20+ years. No one is perfect, but we can all still try to be better.

3. Vtec44

Vtec44 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks. If and when I write an important article, I'll make sure to ask for your opinion about it. :) In the mean time your not going to find me asking for grammar correction in an online forum. Their is a time and place for it.

Their you go! :D Now... about that Facebook ad...

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Glad you know what works for you in your field. That wouldn’t work in my field, but I’m not writing ads, rather proposals, and I’m not in your field! :) I cannot stick to only a very specific client, nor would I personally want to; I need to diversify my experience, which I’ve done over the past 10 years. Seems to be working for me.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  5. DGMPhotography

DGMPhotography Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I've learned to ignore the people on here that post comments irrelevant to the original post. Just not worth the effort. To those that have shared their opinions about the ad - thank you. I have made changes based on your feedback.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    There's truth in this for all business. Early on as a startup company I thought I needed to be all things to all people, but as revenues climbed into the 7 figures and above it became painfully evident that I had to target specific customers. Otherwise I wasted valuable resources trying to service an account that produced mediocre profit while neglecting the real money makers. My business was transportation and if the volume wasn't right (to much/to little), or didn't move on certain days in certain directions, at a certain rate, I didn't want it. I was very selective.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    You certainly have steadfastly ignored my comments and suggestions in the past, and you have once again ignored the broad hint that I offered in this thread. Apparently you already know more than anyone who is experienced in business, so no need to learn anything more. In spite of it all, I still wish you luck and success. You're going to need it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I know I've learned my lesson. Discussions about language are totally irrelevant in a post asking for feedback on a written advertisement. Because language has nothing to do with writing. So I'll keep my opinions about the writing to myself.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. DGMPhotography

Photos OK to edit
    I've tried to ignore your blantant attempts to get a rise out of me, but this is just too much. Get off your holier-than-thou high horse.

I clearly did take the feedback here to heart, as you will see from the third version of my ad that I completely changed it based on the feedback I got here. John's, in particular.

Comments about the ad itself are relevant. Arguments with someone else who was giving me feedback is not. And now y'all have got me off topic too. Ridiculous.

10. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    "and take that magical photo" should most definitely be dropped, in favor of "and make those magical photos". Adding the word make instead of take makes it seem that you are more in-control and less of an opportunist, and even more-importantly, changing from "that magical photo" (you are going to make only one, magical image?) to "make those magical photos" creates the idea that there will be multiple magical, lovely photos.

Think about the phrase, "Make the many magical wedding photos you've always dreamed about," as opposed to "take that magical photo." Similarly, something like "I will create the many lovely wedding photos you've dreamed about for so long."

Sell it!

Speaking of lovely, there are words that people like, words like beautiful,lovely,gem,happiness,etc.,and there are words that people dislike, like moist, impetuous,cancer,and so on. I think you need to be very careful on the ad copy. Every single word needs to be considered. For example the statement, "I will record __ _____ __ ___ ___." That word, record, is passive, not active, and also makes me think you'll be shooting video. Instead of record, do you mean that you will document the day?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. DGMPhotography

Photos OK to edit
    Good ideas, thanks! I was hoping you would chime in.

12. DGMPhotography

Photos OK to edit

Here's the latest version:

Ad.JPG

Getting married soon?

When it comes to capturing those special moments, you want the very best for your beautiful wedding day, and in Virginia, that's Enchanted Weddings by Daryll Morgan Photography.

Together we'll create the magical photos you've always dreamed of; images you'll cherish with family and friends for years to come.

Dates are filling up fast, so act soon! Booking and info at www.daryllmorgan.com. Currently offering a FREE album with your package while supplies last!

Video: https://drive.google.com/a/daryllmo...R2em-xHFj8njjoKnnEVy8gxihl0/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 1