Wedding Dress

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by Thayli, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Thayli

Thayli No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    This is almost exactly what happened lol. My original title for the thread was 'Complete randomness' as thats what it felt like while shooting. (I was concentrating so much on looking for drama in the lighting that I pretty much lost sight of anything else). I posted them on Flickr just before here, and the title of #1 was Sun Worship, and that in itself was a toned down version of my first title which was going to be Bride/Sacrifice To The Sun, which I felt went a little far even for a heathen like myself. So yeah, although the dress isn't the star, it was the one common denominator in the sequence, hence why I used it for thread title. Very misleading lol.

Anyway, I took about 140 shots in a couple of outfits, this was leaving-the-best-to-last. I was really tired and only edited 5 before bed and was beginning to have that niggly feeling that I may like them far more than I should, so figured I'd throw a couple on here and flickr to see if anyone else saw what I saw. Appears I'm not entirely wrong so thats always a good start to my day. Thank you to all the commented as always, and you have put a smile on my face for breakfast, and I'll prob spend a couple of hours today going through the rest. If any are decent I'll throw them up in the thread.

One more of the edits from last night:

$3.jpg

EDIT: And my first edit from today, trying the black and white conversion.

$4.jpg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  2. Thayli

Photos OK to edit
    And there goes the happiness. :lol:

You think it would have looked better with just a smooth background? All the beginning shots were with a white blown out, then I went to grey smooth and it was just... well bland really. I distorted it up a bit (its vinyl) and I really liked the swirly cloudyness of it, so kept it.

3. Granddad

Granddad Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    You, Sir, are getting somewhere. :thumbup: I like #1, especially the lighting on the face and upper torso. I like the pose but the shadow on the back of her right hand/forearm is harsh.

If I were you I'd quit the day job and spend the rest of my life shooting that model with occasional breaks for eating and sleeping. :lmao:

P.S. I like the rumpled background. It looks deliberate (rather than careless) and for me it works.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PropilotBW

PropilotBW Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the first pic of the second set best.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thayli

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks very much Grandad, its high praise at my stage in the game. As far as spending the rest of my life shooting that model, well I'm kinda contracted into that one already. Whether I like it or not lol.

The wedding dress pics came from the end of the night, but before these there was a different dress and I had the background actually smooth. Sometimes lit, sometimes not, and sometimes with gels that I had just got delivered that day. I've only edited a couple of those so far as I already knew the wedding dress was going to be my winner of the session.

$5.jpg

This was me testing how far I could push the background before I lost the hair in the spill.

$6.jpg

And experimenting with a gel. It worked better as B&W.

$7.jpg

And thats all I've done of the rest so far, I'll stick them up on flickr as I do. But yeah as i said, i found the smooth bg to be a bit bland when I was doing the wedding dress, and thought the swirly cloudiness was more appealing. (Rookie experimentation heh). And the viynls heavy enough you can warp it about a bit.

Just in case the threads not pic-heavy enough as it is, I'll add my new favorite from the wedding dress as well. I'm quite proud of these, so please excuse my shameless self-promotion.

$8.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    On page 1, I like the standing pose the most. I like the background color, gray, and the dramatic lighting and the interesting pose she's in. The big black area by her right shoulder is a bit troubling, but overall, it's an okay shot. The second one, where she is sitting down...pretty dark,as in badly underexposed and under-lighted, and does not draw as much interest from me. Not a lot to say on the page 2 additions, except that they look experimental, and then the last one from the page 1 set shows that very steep, black shadow coming from using one main light.

Mixing these two set into one post makes it more difficult to comment than I'm willing to do on a Saturday AM. Keep shooting!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thayli

Photos OK to edit

Y'know, I've been waiting for a big feature post from you Derrel, something along the lines of using bare strobes and the duality of the human soul, possibly with some life lessons mixed in. I feel empty now. :(

Lol, only the white dress shots were for critique, the black dress was me defensively trying to prove that I do know how to have a smooth background and that the murkiness was intentional. Confusion is my forte.

All joking aside, thanks for taking the time to comment dude, and to everyone else who puts up with my amatuer experimentation.

Its appreciated!