wedding lens...

swmocity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
for those who shoot weddings...do yall use more than one lens...or just one lens that covers everything...im looking for a lens that is good for weddings...any suggestions?

17-55 f/2.8 IS and 70-200 f/2.8 IS, pretty much covers 80% of it. The other 20% would be a super wide, fisheye, prime of some sort.

anything on the cheaper end lol?

your going to want to stick to a 2.8 lens due to alot of low light situations. or you could buy a 50mm 1.8 and hope you can capture every moment with it.

Shooting weddings 'professionally' isn't cheap.

When I shoot a wedding, I've got a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 and 70-200 F2.8 L IS as my main two lenses. I've also got a 10-22mm for the wide end and a 50mm F1.8 or 30mm F1.4.

Also, don't forget that when shooting a wedding, you need to have back up equipment. That means at least two cameras, a few lenses, at least two flashes...and plenty of film/memory & batteries etc.

I typically have a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 mounted on one body and a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 mounted on another and have both with me at all times. I usually use a 50mm f/1.4 instead of the 70-200mm mounted for the "getting ready", Salon, etc. photos before the wedding and then switch over just before the ceremony begins.

And Mike is right. It's not cheap. You will have to have at least 2 bodies for backup if you are shooting an event like a wedding. Telling the couple that you're sorry when your batteries die or the only camera you brought to their big event malfunctioned will not cut it. You are declaring yourself as a professional in this type of event after all.

I do probably 80% of my wedding photos with a fast, normal range zoom (17-50ish on APS, 28-75ish on 35mm). I've been using a Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, and a Canon L 24-70 f/2.8. The Tamron and Sigma were less than 1/3rd the price of the Canon, but image quality is the same. The build quality of the Tamron and Sigma seems less robust than the Canon.

In addition I find a couple of fast primes, a really wide angle, and a f/2.8 70-200 come in handy.

I have yet to have a digital body fail on me, but I have had almost everything fail: lenses, flash, battery pack, remote triggers, flash cords, flash bracket, etc... Sometimes it was my fault (dropping or forcing something), but most of the time they just stopped working.

I work as a second shooter and at most weddings we do there will be myself and one other. I almost always keep a 24-70 L on my camera and the other person will alternate betweeen a 50 and 85. Depending on the location we will use a 70-200 and in some cases a 16-35. Thank God I'm working for someone.

The guy I work for has two of everything and has 2 1D Mark III's and 2 Mark II's and a 1Ds Mark II. He usually has two weddings booked on most Saturdays. It an EXPENSIVE endeavor but if you put forth the effort, it pays off! For some weddings there will be three of us and sometimes it doesn't feel like enough!

Most reactions

Back