Wedding photography advices

Jethro

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Heya :)

Our friend of family is getting married next week and of course I want to use this opportunity to take some pics. I have the 7D, 50mm/1.8 and Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 and a tripod. You think this set is good enough to make some decent wedding pics? And since we have so many wedding photogs here, do you have any advices for me? It's gonna be my first wedding shoot. Thanks :)

Would you be the official photographer or just a guest who lives to take pictures?

Actually I am not sure if they hired any professional to shoot their wedding. Anyhow I will be more a guest with an expensive camera :) but of course I wanna do my best and give them some of the photos if they should like them.

Just send a quick note to your friends asking if it is ok. Some wedding photographers put it in the contract that they are the only professional photographers at the event. Which means you may not have permission to shoot the ceremony other than from your seat and you may not shoot the posed shots of the bridal party the professional has set up.

If there is no such clause in the contract then it will be up to the bride and groom and sometimes the officiant or the venue on whether or not it is ok to photograph the wedding.

I already told them that I would like to take some pictures and they were ok with it, haven't said anything about a professional photographer, so I hope everything will be fine. So you think my setup should do the job? :)

No doubt, the knowledge and skill of the photographer is much more important then the equipment used.

The 7D is not an expensive camera, as far as cameras go, but of course it's relative.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV 16.1 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3-Inch LCD and 1080p HD Video (Body Only)

Hasselblad H4D-50 Medium Format DSLR Camera Body Only

A Phase One 645DF body ($5990), with a 75-150 mm f/4.5 lens ($4490), and an IQ180, 80 MP digital back ($43,990) is starting to get expensive at $54,470 total.

"When we received the IQ 180 Digital Back from Phase One, we expected a lot from this huge 80 MPixels sensor. And, indeed, the sensor is the best we ever tested with an overall score of 91: the best score ever and the first one over 90 points on DxOMark scale!"

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Just because the couple is okay with it doesn't mean the professional is (assuming they have one). Personally, I wouldn't be hauling a tripod and multiple lenses in at a wedding where I am not the hired photographer. If you want to bring your camera and get some candids at the reception that could be fun, provided you stay out of their photographer's way. Don't be an "uncle bob."

As I said, I dont know if they will have any professional there, I asked them but they haven't responded yet..though even if they have one I dont think he will be as strict as the US photogs. Plus, the wedding photography rules aren't so strict here, so I guess that is not going to be a problem. I was hoping more for some technical advices :)

(Btw, by my ratings 7D is pretty expensive camera..of course 1D series cost three times more but that is out of question..here the 7D body is around 1700$.

So you think my setup should do the job? :)

Well, that all really depends on what standards right!? If you're looking to meet par with photos that are taken by a friend to be given to the bride and groom, I'm sure you'll kick ass. But if you're looking for pro results, I sincerely think it would be difficult for you because the question tells me tells me that you have no industry experience in wedding photog.

It takes quite a bit of time to know what it takes to get quality wedding photos and know the industry, and to deliver takes even longer. Hope you get some good shots.

As I said, I dont know if they will have any professional there, I asked them but they haven't responded yet..though even if they have one I dont think he will be as strict as the US photogs. Plus, the wedding photography rules aren't so strict here, so I guess that is not going to be a problem. I was hoping more for some technical advices :)

(Btw, by my ratings 7D is pretty expensive camera..of course 1D series cost three times more but that is out of question..here the 7D body is around 1700$.

You might want to make sure this, this is and industry standard with alot of photogs I know from all around.

Well for starters I need to know IF there will be any pro, and this I do not know yet :/ What I am looking for are photos as good as they can be :) I have no industry experience, photography is my hobby (at least now) and I've never done a wedding shoot before but I am hoping to get some good stuff for my portfolio :) If I am lucky I will have also a flash by that time, do you think it would help me significantly?

If it's an indoor wedding and you don't have any kind of lighting (not even so much as a flash), do not expect professional, portfolio level results. And even if you do get a flash by then, you will not have had the time to really learn how to use it by next week.

I agree with camz, your pics will likely beat the pants off any other guest's cell phone/ point & shoot pics but I think you're getting ahead of yourself if you're planning for a portfolio building experience.

Well of course I know it's not going to be anything pro-looking, but I am an amateur so consider my level :D I am just happy for the possibility to try a wedding photo and therefore I want to do my best to get some nice pictures :) and of course I reaaaaly hope there will be at least a couple of pics that would be usable to present myself as an intermidiate amateur wanting to improve :)

You are getting very little for answers here is because we are a little hesitant to even touch this kind of post. It's one of THOSE posts that makes us shake in our shoes.

First please understand that there is a lot more than goes into the image than just the camera work-wedding portraits are a lot of posing and studying the light. Using everything we know to flatter a bride who is self conscious of her ______. And they are all self conscious of something. Be aware of the professional in every way. Do not step in his way, shoot while he is posing. We tend to get a little upset when we work our butts of to create the perfectly posed picture and an AWAC steps in and gets the shot taking advantage of our knowledge and work in the posing and positioning.
If you created the perfect cake and then someone else stepped in and took credit for it because they placed the topper on it you probably wouldn't be very impressed. Make friends with the photograper. He or she may just be your best resource ever. Many of us do take a newbie under our wing and teach them... And we can definitely make life hell for you in the photography world if you offend. The relationships you have with the other photographers in your area are extremely important.

What can you do to insure your shots are great: Don't take the tripod. It's going to be cumbersome enough for you to keep track of changing lenses and the tripod will be the first thing that will set a professional a little bent with you. Your 50mm f/1.8 is your best bet for a ceremony in a church. The light in almost all of them sucks. You will need to max your ISO out and shoot appropriately for it.
Your zoom lens is going to be a very weak point for you. You'll need the f/2.8 which keeps you at the NO ZOOM end of it.
Don't use the on-board flash. Either shoot natural light or get yourself a good speedlight that swivels and tilts so you can bounce it off walls and or ceilings.
If the professional photographer is willing to let you, watch and learn more than you shoot. I know you want to shoot, but the lessons you will learn from the pro are going to be worth a million bucks to you later!

Thank you MLeeK, this is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for! I will make sure to follow your advices and if there will be a pro photographer there I will try to learn from him. Your post was really helpful to me! <3

Most reactions

New Topics

Back