Wedding photography..No No's?

mrshaleyberg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok..

So I have a few questions. I know churches are strict on using flash and making any noise in the church during the wedding ceremony. My camera's shutter sound seems pretty loud to me, like it would echo pretty bad. I know there's no way to change it, but do you think this would be a problem?

Is it a no no to really shoot a bunch of photos of the ceremony itself? Do most photographers photograph after the wedding?

What are the yes' and no's to wedding photography?

It really depends on the type of ceremony, the venue, and what the BRIDE wants. You need to not only speak to the Bride and groom. But also speak with the person performing the ceremony and/or the director of the venue. If they have a wedding planner they will usually provide you with the information you need. It's hard to answer your question specifically because every wedding is different.

On one such occasion, the church had strict rules against any and all disturbances of ceremonies within the church; including wedding. The priest did coordinate a "re-enactment" afterwards for us to have full access to photo. In one way, it made our job a whole lot easier than shooting the real event.

Every church / couple has different requests. Its totally and absolutely appropriate to discuss with them and parties prior to the covered event.

As for shooting after the wedding, again.. depends on the agreement with the couple. In my case, I did most of my shooting during the post-wedding festivities as a secondary to a photographer. He basically shot the wedding ceremony itself on his own.

Pretty much all couples want images of the ceremony...walking down the isle, candids of them looking at each other, crying guests, the rings, the kiss.

That is why fast glass and good high iso performance are key for weddings.

For the noise, well, shooting burst constantly isn't a good thing. Shooting wide and being in everyone's face is not a good thing. I prefer to shoot from afar with a long lens to avoid being in people's way. Its their day, their moment, not mine

Talk with them ahead of time to make sure things are clear. Talk to the priest ahead of time to know where you can and cant go inthe church.

I'm posting here because here's where I noticed....

I'm SO blonde. I just noticed the posts are numbered.... :blushing:

Glad I could make you laugh, here's another one for you.

I didn't realize the movies in Blockbuster were in alphabetical order until I had shopped there for about 8 years.

It all depends on the church. Many charges will let you use flash and many won't. Just go before and talk to them before the wedding begins. I've had church where I was told I could take flash photography until the ceremony started and I had to pick one spot and couldn't move. So you have to really decide where is a good place to stand and stick there. I've been to a church where they didn't care and I was over their shoulders taking pictures. So it really depends on the church.

Normally, shutter sound isn't any issue. I don't know if yours is any louder than my 5D mk2 but they're not going to stop the wedding becuse of that. Maybe the flash, but not the shutter sound.

So my advice, go and ask them what they will allow and not allow.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back