Wedding photography prices

Everyone knows there are no females in the internet.

Darn.. so the lovely lady in your avatar isn't you? Don't tell me.. I don't wanna know! lol!

Right. But you're missing the point. You shouldn't be charging at all, or else very little for something you've never done. You can't just buy or rent a flash next time you have an indoor wedding. You need the knowledge and be extremely comfortable with it.

I'll be honest, it makes me laugh that you compare yourself to those who have been doing it for several years in terms of skill. Its ok to say you don't have the experience yet. Its not ok to charge someone $$$ and trick them into thinking you have that experience.

Since when is it standard, that just because you're not a perfect photographer, you shouldn't charge people for your services? I completely disagree with that. This is going back to what Mike said..
"One exercise, he had us write down several things that shouldn't affect the price we charge. We all put things like 'number of people in wedding party', 'number of guests', 'venue' and so on. What he wanted us to put down was 'experience'.
In other words, it shouldn't matter how long you've been doing this, if you are good at it, then you should charge well for it.
If you (or someone) doesn't think they're good enough to charge higher prices...then they probably aren't ready to take on the responsibility of shooting weddings.
Of course, when you're starting out, you need to build up a portfolio, but being a 'cheap' photographer to build up your portfolio isn't a great idea. It may be a reality for many, but it's still not a great idea. There are other ways to create a portfolio and there are other ways to book weddings (besides having a low price)."
I do have confidence in my talent and I know that it is good. So I resent that comment that I should not charge for the quality of work that I produce. Members of this forum can claim they are being helpful by being honest and giving their advice, but they are the first to know that they are moreso being overwhelmingly critical and unfriendly.

Anyway, to get back to the point. I have already done quite a bit of "probono" work, and I have gotten that experience. I do own all of the necessary equipment, including a flash, and I do know how to use it. It is just one thing that I need to play around with more. I have studied photography and graduated from our polytechnic school, so yes, I do know what I'm doing. lol
Thanks for the advice, but I don't think I'll take it in regards to doing what I do for free or for a low price.

Please point out where I said you needed to be a perfect photographer to charge?

...What he wanted us to put down was 'experience'. In other words, it shouldn't matter how long you've been doing this, if you are good at it, then you should charge well for it...
Note: There is a world of difference between "skill" and "experience". If a photographer has shot a hundred weddings and produce crap results, he can claim great experience, but precious little skill.

I do own all of the necessary equipment, including a flash, and I do know how to use it.
Could you share with us what you feel is "all the necessary equipment" to shoot a wedding?

It is just one thing that I need to play around with more.
This phrase pretty much says it all. :confused:

Bossy, it is clear that you didn't say that...but it is often insinuated by others.
Either way, it is obvious that I have done weddings and other sessions, so it would be silly of me to offer my services for free.

I now see that these forums aren't as helpful as I'd hoped...so I will carry on my merry way. Good day :)

It isn't obvious that you've done weddings. At all. Pretty sure thats why you posted in the first place, because it isn't clear to others either.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back