Wedding photos - I have no choice - please help

Not to disagree with tired, but... on the batteries, I would use something like the Energizer Lithium... I have found the recharge times on the alkalines to just be absolutely horrible. Just be careful because the lithiums do also get hot... so don't be shooting too much without the occasional bit of downtime.

I personally wouldn't even think of doing it without a couple of fast primes and a flash bracket. No need to go exotic unless you want to spend the money.

Not to disagree with tired, but... on the batteries, I would use something like the Energizer Lithium... I have found the recharge times on the alkalines to just be absolutely horrible. Just be careful because the lithiums do also get hot... so don't be shooting too much without the occasional bit of downtime.

Really? I find for the first 75 - 100 flashes it's almost instant; after that I bin them and put in a fresh set. Much easier on the wallet than the lithium, but you're right, they do give a lot more mileage.

Really? I find for the first 75 - 100 flashes it's almost instant; after that I bin them and put in a fresh set. Much easier on the wallet than the lithium, but you're right, they do give a lot more mileage.

Wow, seriously? I don't think I even get that many flashes out of them. Standard alkalines? I tend to use energizers and duracells around the house, and the first 5-10 flashes are quick enough, but after that there is a precipitous drop.

All good sound advice...but just remember right now you are doing a favor for a friend...Don't let this get you into a finacial strain. Learn and grow with what you have, when there is a prospect of revenue start buying what you need.
Everyone talking about all this equipment can cause one to overspend at times.

Thank you so much for all your responses, I'm still hoping someone can answer those specific questions I asked in the first post.

It looks like you recommend getting an sb600 vs the 900.
I always thought the sb600 was good for shooting inside, but wasn't enough for wedding receptions but I guess I was wrong

As of right now, I'm thinking of getting those three items:
1. sb600 deluxe kit from adorama (around $320)
2. sigma 70-200 f/2.8 ($730) from B&H
3. Monopod.

Is that a good idea? Is the deluxe kit worth it, or should i just use regular batteries?
Can someone recommend a specific Monopod under $150 that's good?

Don't bother with the Sigma version, the Nikkor 80-200 costs about the same, maybe less (I got mine in excellent condition for $650). As for a flash, I would get an SB600. There's not much in the SB800 that you absolutely must have for this wedding. If you have the money, maybe some fast primes, like a 50mm F1.8.

Ok, so after careful reading, here's where I decided to spend the money:

1. SB600 (no kit) used with alkaline/lithium batteries
2. SC-29 shoe cord
3. Really right stuff B-87B Flash bracket with plate
4. Monfrotto monopod 681B with 3025 junior head
5. Battery grip with 2 additional batteries and more memory cards.

I am going to rent out the 70-200 Nikkor VR f/2.8 lens

I will have a 24-70mm f/2.8 nikkor lens and a 14-24 f/2.8 nikkor lens.
[EDIT] I'm not going to buy THE 14-24 or pay for renting. I have a friend who can let me borrow it.
At this point I can't get a hold of any primes or another body and I don't want to rent more than just one lens.

Will I be ok with this?

My biggest concern is switching between lenses. As I am an amateur, I can't really anticipate which one I will need for which situation as I'm guessing everything is going to go by really fast.
What would you recommend? Which lens to have in church? Which one for the park photos and then which one for the reception?
Please just give me a ballpark idea. I really don't want to be running around like a headless chicken changing lenses every 5 minutes, especially since I only have one body.

Jaszek, I'm from the Chicago suburb area.
DRroberts, thanks for the advice, I'm trying not to invest in anything that I think will drag my finances too much but it looks like I already have 2 more weddings this year ahead of me so I'd like to start gathering all the stuff I'll need for the future too :)

Last edited:
Ok, so after careful reading, here's where I decided to spend the money:

1. SB600 (no kit) used with alkaline/lithium batteries
2. SC-29 shoe cord
3. Really right stuff B-87B Flash bracket with plate
4. Monfrotto monopod 681B with 3025 junior head
5. Battery grip with 2 additional batteries and more memory cards.

I am going to rent out the 70-200 Nikkor VR f/2.8 lens

I will have a 24-70mm f/2.8 nikkor lens and a 14-24 f/2.8 nikkor lens.
At this point I can't get a hold of any primes or another body and I don't want to rent more than just one lens.

Will I be ok with this?

My biggest concern is switching between lenses. As I am an amateur, I can't really anticipate which one I will need for which situation as I'm guessing everything is going to go by really fast.
What would you recommend? Which lens to have in church? Which one for the park photos and then which one for the reception?
Please just give me a ballpark idea. I really don't want to be running around like a headless chicken changing lenses every 5 minutes, especially since I only have one body.

Jaszek, I'm from the Chicago suburb area.
DRroberts, thanks for the advice, I'm trying not to invest in anything that I think will drag my finances too much but it looks like I already have 2 more weddings this year ahead of me so I'd like to start gathering all the stuff I'll need for the future too :)

Though the 14-24 F2.8 may be a useful lens, it would seem that its usefullness would be limited for weddings. 24mm should be sufficient for group shots. That money would most likely be better used for another body and a 50mm F1.8 (just in case your lighting is too poor for your D80 or your 2.8 lenses to handle).

Actually I can also get a hold of a 50mm 1.4 nikkor, would that be useful? For what shots? The thing is, with only one body, I don't want to have to swap lenses very often.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back