Weekend Walk in the Woods

Scurra

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I spent Sunday walking in the woods with my girlfriend and a friend of mine from University. We went with the intention of taking many photos which was fine until Jackie realised that her battery was flat, so these are a few photographs that we did manage to get.

p.s. apologies if the focus is off in some of the macros I was hand holding because I forgot my tripod :lol:

2304-Leafwithdroplets.jpg

A leaf with rain drops on it

2304-cone.jpg

A soggy cone I liked the moss growing on it

2304-Treestump.jpg

A tree stump that was sticking out of a swampy bit of ground. I'm not sure why I found it interesting but I thought it worthy of a photo. Looking back at it i'm not sure where that random branch had appeared from or why it seems to be 'glued' to the back of the stump.

2304-nickswing.jpg

My friend arsing around on a rope swing that we found towards the end of the walk.

2304-nickcrouch.jpg

The same guy, I couldn't resist taking this picture, the position he was in just made me laugh.

2304-jackie.jpg

My girlfriend (Jackie) mid wander, she had looked back to find out what I was taking photos of. I'm not blown away by the lighting here but I like the candid element of the image.

Please feel free to C&C

No one has any thoughts at all?

First let me say I know absolutely nothing about macro, but it is something I would like to experiment with later. That said, I like the 2nd one best, even though it could use a tad more DOF so that the whole cone would be in focus. I also like the last one a lot, although it would be better if she was alone in the frame, then it would really be an outstanding portrait! Other than that, I think they have nice colours, and a nice soft atmosphere to them.

Yeah I agree about the last image needing only Jackie in the frame, I kicked myself afterwards for not having another go when the other guy had moved.

Other than that, I think they have nice colours, and a nice soft atmosphere to them.

Thanks very much :)

*bump*

anyone else? I know i'm a bit rusty but they can't be that bad.

I'm still learning a lot about photography, so I am nowhere near the proper person to be criticizing or commenting on this.
From what i have witnessed and learned so far, these pictures are great. You're pictures make me want to buy a macro lens and actually be good at it. nice work mate

I know that friend of yours, don't I? Hasn't he (and another friend) "shown you the way" to Saffron Walden in September 2006? ;)

The weather was a bit on the dull side, wasn't it? Not precisely "ideal" for macro photography, I should say, since often you need a lot of light to get it right. Didn't quite work to your favour in the first, none of the droplets is really in focus, nothing seems to be, but I appreciate the approach. Could have been my own approach to nature, had I been in your place ;). The second is nice. Looks like many of my photos do, too :D. The third is fun, as is the fourth - and that of Jackie is quite ... blue? I think it would be even nicer (a) without your friend (ok, you noted that, too), and (b) in a somewhat warmer colour temperature, I think.

How about the two of you: would you not want to very quickly make up your minds and come over to the Germany meet-up? Hertz has suddenly got three free seats in his car! Think about it!

Thanks for the C&C Corinna, much appreciated. You are quite right, the day was quite dull but we tried to make the best of it. (I think I was shooting at about F2.8 and 1/20 sec just to get sharp images).

Yes you're quite right the focus is all over the place in that first image, which Is a shame because I'm rather fond of the the layout of the leaves etc..

When I get in tonight I will go back to the original RAW files for images 5 & 6 and play with the white balance to see if I can remove the blue cast that you mention.

As for Germany, I think we will have to give it a miss this time, Chris has just come back from south africa so is a bit short of holiday time and I am as ever broke. :(

Here is the updated version of the jackie image, I hope I managed to cover the blue.

jackie.jpg

Most reactions

Back