Weekly challenge 10/20-10/26 Still the one

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Unless you've tried this genre, you don't really realize just how difficult it is. Lighting is everything. Participants should really learn from this one.

Unless you've tried this genre, you don't really realize just how difficult it is. Lighting is everything. Participants should really learn from this one.

Agree it will be challenging!

Put “still life” in the search bar on Flickr and you’ll see some terrific photos and hopefully spark some ideas. There are also over 100 Flickr groups for this subject, some with thousands of members.

Pinhead.
PA200001 copy.jpg

Pin stuck in an orange.

Tabletop stuff only, or is outdoor nature stuff in the running?

EDIT- Dr Google suggests that growing flowers are not still life, but cut flowers in a vase (indoors or out) are still life. Live and learn.

These are a few old items I have from my gramps. I used a Tiffen "soft center" filter I got with a lot of items at an estate sale today. The filter is like a bubbly glass. Lit with a softbox upper left and a bounced speedlight lower right.

still-1-2.jpg

[QUOTE="Photo Lady,
I actually posted this one in the wrong place.. it was meant for dog post..

Tabletop stuff only, or is outdoor nature stuff in the running?

EDIT- Dr Google suggests that growing flowers are not still life, but cut flowers in a vase (indoors or out) are still life. Live and learn.

We’re not too heavy on rules with these challenges other than new photos only. People can interpret the themes however they’d like as long as they are getting motivated to shoot and try new things.

Dr Google’s advice sounds good.

Still life, dog version

Probably a bit heavy on the filter. ;)

Love it! My dog would be thrilled with that bowl of “kibble”.

XT2, XF35 1.4, f/16 @ 15.0s, ISO 200, spot. I used my 60" TV to light the subject. I went through a recorded show and fast forwarded it slow until I liked the light and paused it. No Edit other than scale down in gimp.

Levi
Levi.jpg

Most reactions

Back