Weekly challenge 12/19 - 12/25 Vignettes

Vignettes on snow are tough. I might suggest trying a +EV vignette on snow shots

I used to have Cokin filters that would give different vignettes depending on f stop the last one I did was for the avatar I am currently using. That was done in photoshop using layers and a soft edged delete/eraser brush
A plane slightly off white layer under the pic
Using the round select tool on the image, dragging it into the shape I wanted then erasing away the edges
Prob the long hard way, but oh well when I learn the easy way....

I generally use vignetting to some minor degree, either + or -. I try do it in such a way that its not noticeable, but to subtly draw your attention to or away from the center.
In some situations I choose to be heavy handed for creative purposes. Here's a heavy vignetting example I took months ago to emphasizes the tunnel of trees.
run thru the woods_sm.jpeg

Last edited:
This past year I came across the tutorials of Blake Rudis who teaches color theory and uses gradient adjustment layers in Ps.
Since then 90% of my images have some sort of gradient which combines color contrast and luminosity contrast. Photoshop's gradient adjustment layer lets one choose from a variety of gradient, not just linear. My most used one is the 'reflected' gradient which allows the use of one color bracketed by another. Plus each color can have its brightness/luminosity adjusted.
This morning I noticed morning light slanting across our kitchen counter, highlighting my shrine to caffeine.
French press and bean grinder and a K-cup brewer behind...
Here I used a warm orange bracketed by a cool more blue than purple, and set it on a diagonal from low left to upper right.
The warm orange was lighter and the blue darker creating a diagonal luminosity vignette as well as a color vignette.

caffeine shrine

And here is the image without the color/luminosity gradient.

201222t-1910.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if I hit the mark on this one.

As a suggestion for an alternate technique, I lowered the EV on your image by 1.5, then applied a radial filter centered next to the squirrel. The radial filter had +1.5 EV as well as a temp increase of +30. Sometimes I use a temp increase to simulate a little wash of sunlight where there is none.

With a radial filter instead of a vignette tool, one can adjust the shape and center easier, but also the temp, saturation, highlights, etc.

vignette-1-5.jpg

vignette-1-4.jpg

Not sure if I hit the mark on this one.

As a suggestion for an alternate technique, I lowered the EV on your image by 1.5, then applied a radial filter centered next to the squirrel. The radial filter had +1.5 EV as well as a temp increase of +30. Sometimes I use a temp increase to simulate a little wash of sunlight where there is none.

With a radial filter instead of a vignette tool, one can adjust the shape and center easier, but also the temp, saturation, highlights, etc.

View attachment 201578

View attachment 201579
Thanks! I like that.

In keeping with 2020, there was a virtual Nativity tonight and they asked my son and daughter-in-law to provide the babe in a manger. Here's their son, my ninth grandchild, sleeping in a manger. As I tried to process the pic it developed a vignette pretty much as I went.
DSC_7640-1 - Copy.jpg

sooc
DSC_7640-2.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back