Weekly challenge 12/19 - 12/25 Vignettes

An interesting method of creating a subtle vignette was/is taught by Tony Kuyper who helped popularize luminosity based channels and masks. Create a selection of the image's mid tones and paint black through that selection with a reduced flow or reduced opacity brush onto a layer set to overlay or soft light blend mode. It prevents the darkest and lightest tones from being affected, darkening the mid tones in a subtle way. Googling for Tony Kuyper easily finds his tutorials.

Late in posting but I took these within the time allotted :) I typically add a vignette to all my images (-10 is my go-to) but for these I increased it a bit, and also shot with the intent of vignette so was able to do some light play as well. Merry Christmas!!

paigewilks.com3-2.jpg

paigewilks.com1-3.jpg

3 This was my 9 year old son's vision. We were shooting the stars and he saw the moonlight glistening on the rocks he asked me to capture it. I love the way it turned out!
paigewilks.com1-4.jpg

paigewilks.com1-6.jpg

5. Christmas blueberry pie :D
paigewilks.com1-5.jpg

Something new I tried with a photo that was too busy. it’s not exactly what I had in mind but I like the idea. Thoughts?

Snowy trees by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Most reactions

Back