Weekly Challenge 12/5 - 12/11 Tilting the night away!

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This week's challenge, if you choose to accept it, is to use the "Dutch tilt" when framing your photos. The Dutch angle (aka Dutch tilt, canted angle, or oblique angle) is a filmmaking technique that involves setting the camera at an angle and tilting the entire scene. In film, it is used to make the viewer uneasy or portray confusion. In photography, the shot is composed with vertical lines at an angle to the side of the frame, or so that the horizon line of the shot is not parallel with the bottom of the camera frame. This produces a viewpoint akin to tilting one's head to the side. It was an Instagram trend a few years ago which has given it a bit of a bad rap by "real" photographers. But it's a lot of fun and can elevate a mundane scene by giving a dramatic effect. Give it a try!

New photos only for the weekly challenge please. Get out there and shoot!

Tricky challenge Sharon! It's hard to come up with an image that doesn't just look like a crooked picture, and one where the tilt compliments the composition.

IMGP8991es.jpg

IMGP8979es.jpg

The tilt in the photo goes with the road sign. One leads into the other.
Thanks. I was trying to come up with an idea for this challenge and then remembered this sign at work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back