Weekly challenge 9/15 - 9/21 Vertically challenged

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This week’s challenge is to shoot in vertical/portrait orientation. As @Derrel likes to advise us - Turn that camera and get tall! Don’t just turn the camera though, find subjects that benefit from vertical composition. Get comfortable shooting in that position. And while buildings, trees and portraits are, of course, going to dominate this thread, try to find at least one subject that doesn’t fall into any of those categories.

If you want to show the contrast of the same subject shot in landscape mode, that would make for some good discussions

This is a weak spot of mine. It’s just not a natural camera position for me. If I’ve posted a portrait mode photo recently, it was probably cropped from a landscape!

Here are a few links for those of us who are vertically challenged.

3 Reasons to Shoot Vertical Aspect Landscapes and 6 Tips on How to Shoot Them

https://expertphotography.com/vertical-lines-improve-composition/

When I was painting, most of my work was vertical, especially landscapes. Vertical, square, very little horizontal. When I was in the smokies, I took quite a few vertical landscapes, I never posted any. I did find a roll from Florida that came up missing (it was in a pair of my shoes), it had some B & W beach landscapes on it, that were vertical, I need to process them.

IMG_1805.jpeg

I almost never shoot vertical for softball. I forced myself to do it today and super happy with the results vs shooting wide and cropping later. Of course it’s easier to frame it up when they are temporarily still.

5C6F2A6B-8C38-4FBE-86AD-1F6C7A24574B.jpeg

Saw this GBH yesterday and turned my camera sideways, just for this challenge. Only got a couple of shots and it was gone. Didn't like my intrusion, I guess. No landscape shots to compare, but wouldn't have gotten the reflection if I didn't.

44726473221_25ce89db25_b.jpg

I’m glad to hear that I’m not the only one. Shooting vertical doesn’t come naturally to me at all. I may extend this challenge for me personally for a month just to get some muscle memory going with this.

Most reactions

Back