Weird issue with Sigma Lens

JonA_CT

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Sigma 17-70 2.8 Lens that I've been seeing some weird stuff out of -- wondering if it's broken or maybe if there is another issue.

I noticed recently that when in Manual or Av mode on my camera, I can't select F2.8 as an option at 17mm. I can only get to F3.2. I started to dig around in EXIF data, and noticed that photos when the indicator on the lens says I should be at 17mm, it reads 21mm, and when I should be at 70mm, it's only reading 57mm.

I guess my question is whether this a software issue or an issue or an issue with the lens. If it is something with the lens, is it worth having it sent out for work, or should I be looking for something different?

Try cleaning the copper contacts on the lens and on the body in the lens mount area. Could just be a bit of dirt is causing a miss-communication between the two. The eraser end of a pencil can do a good job of cleaning the contacts.

I have a Sigma 17-70 2.8 Lens that I've been seeing some weird stuff out of -- wondering if it's broken or maybe if there is another issue.

I noticed recently that when in Manual or Av mode on my camera, I can't select F2.8 as an option at 17mm. I can only get to F3.2. I started to dig around in EXIF data, and noticed that photos when the indicator on the lens says I should be at 17mm, it reads 21mm, and when I should be at 70mm, it's only reading 57mm.

I guess my question is whether this a software issue or an issue or an issue with the lens. If it is something with the lens, is it worth having it sent out for work, or should I be looking for something different?

strange, maybe try comparing a shot with a lens you know is f2.8 17mm with the Sigma at f3.2 17mm

Sorry, I evidently had typed a response on my phone but never sent it. I've tried cleaning the contacts, and it really hasn't changed much. I've been having AF issues with all of my lenses so I'm wondering if it's an issue with the camera. I'll be seeing a friend this week that has another EF-S mount camera, so I'll bring my lenses with me and see if it is different.

Most reactions

Back