Weird lense issue

Rummie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi. I recently picked up a gently used Quantaray 70-210mm AF lense for my Canon XS. I tested when I got home with it and it was working great. Went out a week later to use outside and it quite working, came up with a ERR01 lense communication issue, I cleaned contacts, made sure my kits lense worked and it did, but the 70-210mm still didnt work. Try trouble shooting the problem, and what Ive come to figure out is it works inside with daylight(natural light) but when outside it does not work.

Anyone hear of an issue like this? Or know what this may be and why?

BTW- I did use outside with a UV filter on it.

Thank you.

Error Message:
Err 01Translation:
This error message is short for “Error 01” and may appear on the display of your Canon digital camera. The message indicates that the camera is not communicating correctly with the lens you currently have mounted.Solution:
Remove the lens, reattach it, and check to see if the error message reappears. If you see the error code again, you’ll need to clean the lens contact. You can find instructions for this process in your users manual.

Did you happen to read everything I said?

I have tried to clean the contacts, still does not fix the problem. Lense works when used inside, but not outside.

Thank you for reassuring to clean the contacts, but this has been tried.

Non-Canon lenses are not 100% guaranteed to work with Canon cameras because they the technology has had to have been reverse-engineered from Canon gear. (Canon doesn't just hand out the info to companies like Quantaray).

Also, camera technology is constantly evolving, so this older lens probably wasn't designed to work with newer Canon cameras. It may have been designed & built before digital cameras were popular.
With some lens companies, you could have the lens re-chipped...which would fix the technology problem.

Gaerek- Why not just read the post, roll your eyes and move on. Some older people do not know how to google- :confused:

Why not click the link then? Everything he needs to solve his problem can be found there. And it was way quicker than me doing the research for him, and posting a couple possible options that might not work, (like you did!) and show him something that will very likely be helpful. Sure my method was somewhat snarky, but at least what he needs is there, and maybe he'll learn how wonderful a tool google is, instead of having people spoon feed him information. Give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime, or somesuch thing like that.

Gotcha. Just weird that the lens works inside, but not outside.

Gaerek- Why not just read the post, roll your eyes and move on. Some older people do not know how to google- :confused:

Why not click the link then? Everything he needs to solve his problem can be found there. And it was way quicker than me doing the research for him, and posting a couple possible options that might not work, (like you did!) and show him something that will very likely be helpful. Sure my method was somewhat snarky, but at least what he needs is there, and maybe he'll learn how wonderful a tool google is, instead of having people spoon feed him information.

Yes, which, like what was said. I DID clean the lens, I had seen that information. What I was wondering other than cleaning is if there was something else that would cause it to work inside but not outside.

BTW- Google is not new. I've used it multiple times for questions, and excuse me for this one too, but not all my questions were answered thank you.

Seriously, some people DO NOT know how to google-- so take the best comment you posted and apply to yourself..

Give a man fish.....

TELL THEM WHAT GOGGLE IS.

Why not click the link then? Everything he needs to solve his problem can be found there. And it was way quicker than me doing the research for him, and posting a couple possible options that might not work, (like you did!) and show him something that will very likely be helpful. Sure my method was somewhat snarky, but at least what he needs is there, and maybe he'll learn how wonderful a tool google is, instead of having people spoon feed him information. Give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime, or somesuch thing like that.

Why not click the link then? Everything he needs to solve his problem can be found there. And it was way quicker than me doing the research for him, and posting a couple possible options that might not work, (like you did!) and show him something that will very likely be helpful. Sure my method was somewhat snarky, but at least what he needs is there, and maybe he'll learn how wonderful a tool google is, instead of having people spoon feed him information.

Yes, which, like what was said. I DID clean the lens, I had seen that information. What I was wondering other than cleaning is if there was something else that would cause it to work inside but not outside.

BTW- Google is not new. I've used it multiple times for questions, and excuse me for this one too, but not all my questions were answered thank you.

Well then.. Call Canon-- That is what I always do. You can google their number- since you mentioned you know how to use it, I won't go into detail on how to google a number for a company.

Some older people do not know how to google- :confused:

To us more experienced (older) people, it seems it's the young people who don't know how to write effective search terms and properly use any of the plethora of search engines that are available. ;)

I have a 35mm sigma lens that only works at f2.8
anything else and I get an error code.
Turns out it's an older model just not compatible with 30D and 40D.
I hear I can get it it updated, but never followed thru with it.
Error only at smaller aperture might explain it

Most reactions

New Topics

Back