Well, it was a fun afternoon for ByronBrant and I.

480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Earlier this year, I entered 4 of my images in the Iowa State Fair Photography Salon. It's the only judged contest that I've found so far that isn't a rights grab. It's not really a who-can-beat-who type of contest, but more of a 'if it's good, it's in the show' type of judging. A few weeks ago, I got a card in the mail saying I had two images selected, and I had at least one award.

Dang! I would have been happy to get just one image in the show, awards beside the point. This year, they decided to have an award ceremony, the first in the show's 76-year history. This would get me into the show for free, as well as before the state fair opens with its stifling crowds. So off I go, wondering which two of my images made it,......... and I'd be thrilled just to get an Honorable Mention.

After getting through about a fourth of the show, I spotted my two shots. Wow.

20150809_131059.jpg

First Place in each division! Icing on the cake! I went with ByronBrant and his wife, and he had his two images selected and an award as well, so we set out to find those two. After finding one of them, I spotted another of mine.

20150809_132356.jpg

WTF? I thought I only had two selected! OK, maybe they made a mistake. Anyway.... another award: Honorable Mention. Yay, me!

After getting through most of the show and finding ByronBrants' other image (he got a blue ribbon as well!), I spotted my fourth shot!

20150809_132613.jpg

Another Honorable Mention.

Holy cow! All 4 of my submissions (and everyone is limited to four) were not only accepted.... but all 4 won an award!

And of all those who submitted 4 images, only three others had all four accepted into the show.

20150809_133045.jpg

So not only do I have a total of 5 awards (4 for the images, and one for having all four in the show), I get all four shots in the book they print, as well as a bit o' money..... 200 smackers!

Anyhoo, here's a better look at the 4 shots:

Oval%20Stairway%20No%201_9884%20post.jpg

GrazingHerdBW_6181post.jpg

TenuousTendrilsEdit_Post.jpg

WindowofStairs_9180postpost.jpg

Congrats on a well earned honor!

Very nice! Congrats!

Congratulations!

I had wondered why you had not entered before now.

Well deserved. Those are all really solid images Ken!

Here's ByronBrants' award-winning shot:

2015-08-12%2017.31.02.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back