Went for a hike

insane pelican

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My girlfriend invited me out for a hike, decided sure why not, and figured i may as well drag this camera along as well.

Waterfall.jpg

Heh, about this picture, originally i was standing on the shore, and there was a dead tree sticking up, so i decide to hop across a few rocks to get to this big boulder in the middle of the stream, so i can get a clear shot. I hop across, hit the fist rock, and slip right in. Water wasn't deep, and i was wearing my waterproof hiking boots, so i was able to get to the big boulder in 2 steps. I get over there, and what is there? That stupid log in the bottom left hand side. I hate dead trees.

Water1.jpg

Water2.jpg

Roots2.jpg

Now this root picture, i basically took it walking along the path, and really wondered how it would turn out. It's somewhat interesting, but nothing like i hoped. I was planning on it being alot more creepy or w/e.

Ok, a few questions, for those of you that use film, or have used film cameras, what was the typican turn out rate per roll of 24 exposures? At this time, im getting about 3 or 4 really solid pictures and about 5 or 6 others that aren't that bad, and the rest are pretty much garbage. This normal? i know that not every shot is going to turn out, but should my turnout rate be higher?

Secondly, in photoshop, is there any filter that will reduce the grain in some of these pictures? I was taking these late, like around 8-830 yesterday, so there was no direct sunlight, which you can see in the waterfall pic. A few of the pics that would have turned out well are garbage because of the grain...and i know i wont get great detail, but it still looks like garbage with the grain so detailed.

As far as your concern about the turn out rate, I'd have to say that 3-4 shots that your actually happy with is pretty good. With a roll of 24 shots your never going to get 24 great shots or even 24 good shots.
The crappy shots will always outnumber the fantastic shots.
Same goes for digital, but they can get rid of the evidence a lot faster so no one's the wiser.

You have some nice photos here, but I just wanted to point out one thing... every photo you've posted would benefit greatly with a tripod. If your doing a lot of landscapes and nature shots a tripod would be your best investment (aside from your camera itself of course).

The second one is really neat; I like it
I see what you mean about the graininess... I have the same problem sometimes... I think the best you can do in photoshop is the Despeckle or Dust & Scratches (both under the "Noise" section in the "Filter" heading). Sometimes that helps. Sometimes. You lose a lot of the sharpness and clarity with those, though.

insane pelican said:
Secondly, in photoshop, is there any filter that will reduce the grain in some of these pictures? I was taking these late, like around 8-830 yesterday, so there was no direct sunlight, which you can see in the waterfall pic. A few of the pics that would have turned out well are garbage because of the grain...and i know i wont get great detail, but it still looks like garbage with the grain so detailed.

try a program called noiseware made by Imagenomic. You can get it here.

hope this helps

Pete

Yea, i think im going to grab one, but i didn't have time to really plan to far ahead, and it would have been alot better if it wasn't so late. Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back