Artemis

Just Punked Himself
Reaction score
Website
www.falcon-eye.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Dunno if this is gonna bore you lot.

I went for a job today, to a photgraphy place near me.

I was so nervous i was shaking, and they werent really interested.

They said they will put me down in a their files as a free lancer.

What I wanna know is, how do I make myself look good? what do i need to show off? any ideas?

So first of all: first impression. There are many articles how to look (clothes) and hoe to behave on an interview, because, even a small talk to the boss is a kind of interview.

Before you go there, make a portfolio. Put there your best photos, with comments, all parameters (exposuure time, shooter etc.)

And while talking to the boss or somebody who will employ you, talk a lot about your qualiffications, languages, etc.

And don't panic! Because when you have a fear written on your face, they know that you may not be a great employer.

Well one of the first things to be concerned about is the first impression they get from your appearance. Regardless of the company conservative dress won't steer you wrong.

A decent portfolio that is versatile or very specific. This depends on the company you're applying to. If they specialize in architechure then landscapes, portraits and weddings may not be the portfolio to present. If they deal in general subjects then it may be a different story.

REHEARSE, REHEARSE, REHEARSE. Go over your presentation several times, with different people if you can. Get some feedback from your audience. Make corrections, polish it up some and rehearse again.

Stay calm if you can. A little bit of nervousness won't hurt. It's expected.

rangefinder said:
Well one of the first things to be concerned about is the first impression they get from your appearance. Regardless of the company conservative dress won't steer you wrong.

A decent portfolio that is versatile or very specific. This depends on the company you're applying to. If they specialize in architechure then landscapes, portraits and weddings may not be the portfolio to present. If they deal in general subjects then it may be a different story.

REHEARSE, REHEARSE, REHEARSE. Go over your presentation several times, with different people if you can. Get some feedback from your audience. Make corrections, polish it up some and rehearse again.

Stay calm if you can. A little bit of nervousness won't hurt. It's expected.

couldn't agree with rangefinder more - first impressions are the key, its all about projecting confidence. And don't worry, don't get discouraged about the nervousness or previous failures - thats how we all learn. Just be persistent and don't give up :D

Hey and good luck with it all mate! Keep us posted too :)

:D

Well, its kinda ok actually.

To keep you posted, here is an update.

Already done 1 photoshoot with a drama group im part of.

The school has set me a project they want, because i offerd to lend them pics to place around the school.

I have also been asked to do another photoshoot with a bit more famous drama group.

All this i am doing for free, to get known, so any advice when doing photoshoots? on the last one, Ive been told to get natural shots, to make the people forget I am there, then shoot them, what you think?

Yeah, that's a great idea. Do candid behind the scenes stuff, to show what it's like behind the stage at the drama group, like you see behind the scenes shots for movies. (Like mine here! :p)

I think doing stuff for your school is a great idea. What about joining the yearbook and being one of those people who always gets the candid shots of people at games and around campus? It will give you lots of practice.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Getting your name out there is key. When we first started out with our business we offered really reduced prices to get a portfolio done and then we were able to charge more because we had product to show. I love more candid photos of people. When they are "posing" for the picture they don't look their best (generally). Although we set up a background and lights we give little direction on how to sit or stand, etc. I love to just follow people with the camera, those are usually the shots they end up buying. Hang in there, interviewing is hard.

What you want to highlight just depends on the job you are looking for. Someone already suggested having a few different style of photos to bring with you depending on the job.

Yah see, my problem is, my portfolio, is just mainly flowers, cause thats what im best at.
But at every photo shoot i do, i let them know if there is a pick i want, i get to keep it, so that then i can take the nice 1 or 2 candid shots, and walla :p.

A mate said about the yearbook, and he said they sometimes get paid! w000t!

By the way, i cant seem to find black and white film, which the guy who asked me to do it wanted, so will colour be able to become black and white? if so ill stick with that?

Btw thanks all, youve been really supportive.

I always try to take pictures of people that capture their emotion. When they are setting up for a picture, I sqeeze the shutter once too early. I also follow people around and catch them when they aren't expecting it. I always like the feeling from pictures when you can see how they feel.

wed.jpg

This is when they were getting ready for a picture.

i have one tip i learnt with time. try not to get involved, that's very important.

natural and undirected shots are the best.

it will be hard at the beggining but will get better with the time when the group get used to you and stop looking at your direction all the time.

Wow guys this feed back is great, im getting some real inspiration now.
Ill head down there bright and early tomorow, and start shooting, maybe getting picks of people walking through the door.

My main problem, is that there is alot of girls there, and some girls imo, dont like their picks taken, so im gonna have to be real secretive around them.

Another problem, is i dont have black and white film :(

Artemis said:
Wow guys this feed back is great, im getting some real inspiration now.

My main problem, is that there is alot of girls there, and some girls imo, dont like their picks taken, so im gonna have to be real secretive around them.

we're glad to help you out.

about the galz, be rude. take photoes how you want them to be.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back