Went to see a man about a horse

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
We have wanted a horse for a long time now and yesterday we went and talked to our neighbour. He raises horses, some just for love, some for harness racing and he is going to help us learn and make the decision :). He is willing to keep the horse there and board it to start.
I'm beyond giddy! We are going to spend some time meeting and getting to know the horses he has available, can't wait! Woot!!!

Ahh new pets are always good - even if they are somewhat bigger than most!

My sister has had an ongoing campaign for her own horse for years and years and years - still not quite there, but getting closer each year - her going to uni mostly scuppered her plans (even she sees that there's no point having a horse if you're away from home and unable to look after it for several years - plus she's a bit of a bug in her about going places so chances are she might well do some travelling possibly in the future).

Are you getting the horse just to keep as a pet or for riding/harness etc....?

Agree!

Ah I was the same as your sister growing up :) and only now at 44 years of age am I in a place where it makes sense lol

We would like to start with a pet that we ride sometimes and who can help with odd jobs and can enjoy the fields around us here. Being able to board right next door is ideal!

Yikes. Horses are a big commitment.

It's good you are willing to learn some basics first and see all the work that goes into owning a horse. So many people just jump into horses and don't realize the commitment it takes. I teach a 4H class that emphasizes the barn and horse work and it surprises some kids and their parents.

Horses are beautiful animals, the power and grace amazes me everyday and I've had horses my whole life.

Enjoy it! It can be very rewarding and enjoyable but it's also a lot of hard work.

Any questions fell free to PM me.

Indeed, I know a few people who keep horses in livery and they are always flitting back and forth to where they are kept. That you can keep yours just next door can make all the difference!

Yes from the research I have done they are quite the commitment and we want to be positive that we are up to the challenge before we dive in head first, being right next door is absolutely ideal and finally makes this a realistic possibility!

Thanks so much for the offer Rob, I may take you up on that along the way! I too love their majesty power and grace, I could sit and watch his herd all day long :)

Here are a couple shots of them from last year, looking forward to some greener surroundings to get over and shoot them again :)

The tan coloured one is so calm and sweet in demeanor.

This fellow is a showoff and makes a fuss when we visit, he dances around and tries to herd everyone else.

Wow that is great... I used to have 11 horses until the price of hay went thought the roof $9.50 for a flat bale. I did not have a large enough pasture so had to hay feed them, 3 bales a day, 1,000 a month and I was forced to find homes for then..... I still visit some of them once in awhile. You will love this hobby! I still have llamas, goats and a donkey, just love animals not to mention rabbits, chickens and a dog.

I'm so happy for you - this is an ideal situation! I've had 2 horses in my life - one as a kid, where we lived a ways away so it was a bit of a deal to get out there, but so rewarding. The other was mine as an adult, so I can appreciate the work. But, it's all about what you like to do. :) There were times I'd rather have picked the stall (if you know what I mean) than deal with jerks at my office. :lol: She was only a mile away, so better all around.

Will you ride English or Western pleasure? Although I learned to ride English, I've never done anything but Western pleasure/trail ride when I had my own. And bareback, of course. :lovey:

Horses are definitely like pets. They will come to you, even follow you around like overgrown dogs.

Horses are definitely like pets. They will come to you, even follow you around like overgrown dogs.

I have couple that are pick pockets, they know that's where the treats come from. The bond you create spending so much time with them cleaning, brushing, washing, riding, training is pretty strong. It's hard to explain to non-horse people because it's different than even dogs, cats and other pets.

I can stand in the middle of the pasture and bang a bucket, they will all come running. Not much compares to the sound of 22 horses in full gallop coming towards you.

I honestly don't like horses based on a childhood trauma. I was bitten when I was 5. Drew blood and everything.

They had to put the horse down since once a horse tastes human blood it is all they want.

That's a fact.

Wow that is great... I used to have 11 horses until the price of hay went thought the roof $9.50 for a flat bale. I did not have a large enough pasture so had to hay feed them, 3 bales a day, 1,000 a month and I was forced to find homes for then..... I still visit some of them once in awhile. You will love this hobby! I still have llamas, goats and a donkey, just love animals not to mention rabbits, chickens and a dog.
Wow! Yes, around here owners are having a hard time feeding, the drought last year stole the second crop of hay and things are touch and go, our area just received some hay from out west to help thank goodness!
I can see us being like you a few years down the road, I want a llama and goats and a donkey and and and ... lol!
I'm so happy for you - this is an ideal situation! I've had 2 horses in my life - one as a kid, where we lived a ways away so it was a bit of a deal to get out there, but so rewarding. The other was mine as an adult, so I can appreciate the work. But, it's all about what you like to do. :) There were times I'd rather have picked the stall (if you know what I mean) than deal with jerks at my office. :lol: She was only a mile away, so better all around.

Will you ride English or Western pleasure? Although I learned to ride English, I've never done anything but Western pleasure/trail ride when I had my own. And bareback, of course. :lovey:

Thanks Terri! This will be a brand new adventure for both Mr Rabbit and I, we have loved horses from afar and have a lot to learn. We are definitely interested in western/pleasure riding, a nice mosey around the land around here with our friend would be divine :)

I have couple that are pick pockets, they know that's where the treats come from. The bond you create spending so much time with them cleaning, brushing, washing, riding, training is pretty strong. It's hard to explain to non-horse people because it's different than even dogs, cats and other pets.

I can stand in the middle of the pasture and bang a bucket, they will all come running. Not much compares to the sound of 22 horses in full gallop coming towards you.
I would love to find that connection with a horse, I adore my dog and cats and to have that kind of mutual respect with such a majestic animal would be amazing.
I want to stand in your pasture with the bucket!!! That must be such a surreal experience!!!

THAT is awesome! Must be amazing!
Agree!! Lets go find Rob's field and bucket!!
I honestly don't like horses based on a childhood trauma. I was bitten when I was 5. Drew blood and everything.

They had to put the horse down since once a horse tastes human blood it is all they want.

That's a fact.

Aw!

Aw Jenna, Whisper is beautiful! Thanks for sharing him with us :)

Most reactions

Back