Whales of Monterey CA C&C Welcome

CMfromIL

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had never gone whale watching before, so this was a new venture for me. I think I'm going to need to go back a few times.
The animals are spectacular, as they are difficult to shoot. There was only 1 full 'breech' of a humpback, and of course I was on the wrong side of the boat and didn't get it.
However, it as a fun experience.
1. Morning departure to the whale area:

2. Orca

3. Humpback

4. My personal favorite of the day (also humpback):

All shot w/ Canon 5DIII and Canon 70-200 IS II @ 1/1000 (to account for boat movement and whale movement), F3.5-4.5 and ISO generally around 100 or 200.

Maybe try cropping the photos so the Whales and splashes fill more of the frame, I have been told by a mate that is can be very hit and miss snapping pics of Whales so well done. Would love to see a Whale

Well done with a 70-200. My fav is # 3. A little crop will help with 3 and 4 I wouldn't worry about it with 1 and 2
A fluke shot is on my bucket list of must have shots LOL. Wouldn't you love to have a 400m lens?

Well done with a 70-200. My fav is # 3. A little crop will help with 3 and 4 I wouldn't worry about it with 1 and 2
A fluke shot is on my bucket list of must have shots LOL. Wouldn't you love to have a 400m lens?

I think in this case a fixed 400 might be a bit much, but I am saving for the 100-400. The whales are somewhere between 10-100 yards off the side of the boat. The law requires the boats to stop if whales are within 300 feet. However, if the whales approach after they stop, the ships to not need to move. Typically they move closer to the boat as you idle.

I put my 1.4 extension on for a few shots, but I think the 70-200 did pretty good by itself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back